|Course Number:||EDU 5515 C11 & MUS 5710 CFS2|
|Instructor:||Elizabeth M. Greene|
|Location:||Lyndon State College, Lyndonville, Vermont|
|Dates and Times:||July 17 - July 21, 2017, 8 am - 4 pm|
|Tuition:||$1,529 - includes 3 graduate credits, housing and meals Monday - Thursday with check-in available Sunday afternoon or Monday morning
$1,329 - includes 3 graduate credits
Note: Please register directly with Music-COMP. Music-COMP will then give you the link to Castleton's online registration form to sign up for credit.
First Steps in MusicTM , created by leading music educator Dr. John Feierabend of the Hartt School of Music, is an early childhood music curriculum for newborns to age seven (early elementary) and serves as readiness for Conversational SolfegeTM. Through active participation in both music and movement activities, participants will learn how to further their young students' musical growth with joy, imagination, and wonder while preparing them for a lifelong of music learning. Attention will also be given to developing an early childhood music program for parents and their children ages birth to 5 years.
The objectives of the class are as follows:
• To understand the philosophy, research, and pedagogy as presented in First Steps in MusicTM .
• To develop teaching skills necessary to present lessons with materials and music activities appropriate to the developmental abilities of children in grades N-2 using the First Steps in MusicTM curriculum.
• To develop teaching skills necessary to present First Steps in MusicTM lessons with materials and music activities appropriate to the developmental abilities of infants and toddlers.
• To introduce effective psychological principles, techniques, and materials which will aid in the discovery and maximization of the innate music potential of children in preschool and the early elementary grades.
• To develop the ability to design curriculum appropriate for grades N-2 as well as for infant and toddler.
Texts are not included in the course cost.
Feierabend, J. First Steps in Music for Preschool and Beyond: The Curriculum; GIA Publications, Inc, 2006.