|Course Number:||EDU 5515 C06|
|Instructor:||Andy Kepes, MA & Amy Johnston, MS|
|Location:||Brattleboro, Vermont (exact location TBD)|
|Dates and Times:||September 8, 2017 to May 4, 2018. In-person, all-day meeting on September 8 with monthly meetings from 3 - 5 pm, October through April, final paper is due May 4, 2018.|
Note: Please register online. Purchase order or payment of $975, payable to RRWIB, is due at the time of registration. Please mail check to the Castleton Center for Schools, PO Box 6049, Rutland, VT 05701. If you wish to pay by credit card, please call the Center for Schools at (802) 770-7060.
This course is designed to empower a TEAM to redesign new teacher induction programs.
Participants create a mentoring model that allows professionals new to the school and/or district to assimilate as seamlessly as possible into the system and includes a peer coaching model that grows best practices that have a positive impact on student learning and growth.
Participants will be a decision making body creating the structures, expectations, and goals for an SU/district wide mentoring program. The group will look at the “nuts and bolts” of being a member of the Windham Central community as well as develop a model that leads to the growth of best instructional practices.
Create a mentoring/coaching model that anticipates the needs of new teachers and prepares them for the yearly activities in the school.
Create a mentoring/coaching model that helps grow best instructional practices for those new to the district that has a positive impact on student learning and growth.
Learn how to provide meaningful feedback to peers.
Take the time to understand the school/district culture and how this culture has positive and negative impacts on teaching and learning.
1. Following each class session, write a reflection about your learnings and post on BlackBoard.
2. Read at least two others’ reflection pieces each month and comment on BlackBoard.
3. After each check in with your mentee, document the time you spent, the topics you covered and any concerns you have, post on BlackBoard.
4. Complete and reflect in writing about two experiences using the peer coaching model. Post on Blackboard.
5. Paper due May 4.Write a 3-5 page paper on the process of being a mentor/peer coach. Please include the following items:
Write a 3-5 page paper on the process of being a mentor/peer coach. Please include the following items: