Financial Aid Calendar
- January 1 - FAFSA applications may be submitted to the Federal Processor. Financial Aid is awarded on a first come, first served basis and students are encouraged to apply as early as possible. We consider anyone who applies by April 1 to be an on-time applicant.
- If you or your parents are unable to complete federal tax forms early in the year, you may use estimated figures from the prior year’s tax return. When you do complete this year’s federal tax return, please opt to use the IRS Data Retrieval process when IRS related financial information is requested on the form.
- Submit your state grant application if your state requires a separate application.
- Research scholarship opportunities and view our Scholarship Tip Sheet online.
- Castleton Returning Student Scholarship information and application will be sent to all students by email and will be available on the Financial Aid Website.
- Student financial aid award notifications are sent via email beginning in late February and can be viewed on the student Portal/VSC Web Services.
- If the award is an estimate, then additional information is needed for verification. Please log onto the Portal/VSC Web Services, select Student, under Financial Aid you will need to select Financial Aid Document Status. This will allow you to view the items needed to complete verification.
- If you’ve filed your Federal Taxes please go back into your FAFSA and update it using IRS Data Retrieval.
- Submit your FAFSA by April 1 to be considered an on-time applicant.
- Graduating students with Federal loans are required to attend Loan Exit Counseling session to obtain information on rights and responsibilities for Federal Loan borrowers. If you cannot attend the group session, you can complete the counseling online at studentloans.gov for Federal Direct or Stafford Loans and ECSI for Perkins.
- April 15 - Preferred completion date for summer financial aid
- Reminders will be sent out to graduates who missed group Loan Exit counseling sessions to complete it online at studentloans.gov or ECSI.
- Castleton Returning Student Scholarship recipients will be notified mid-May by email.
- State grant agencies begin award notification.
- First-time Direct Loan borrowers must complete Direct Loan Student Loan Entrance Counseling and a Direct Loan Master Promissory Note at studentloans.gov.
- If parent is borrowing a PLUS Loan, remember to apply for a new PLUS Loan every year at studentloans.gov. We begin originating PLUS Loans for returning students in early July and for new students, after they have registered for classes.
- We begin originating/processing private loans early August for disbursement in early September.
- After the drop/add period, the fall semester posting of aid begins provided your financial aid file and loan paperwork are complete.
- Early October, follow-up to make sure you have submitted all documentation and check on-line that your account has been paid in full.
- REMEMBER: Check your campus email and campus mailboxes regularly to receive timely communication from administration on billing, financial aid and academic information.
- Begin awarding Spring admitted students for the upcoming spring semester.
- December graduates should complete Online Exit Counseling at studentloans.gov for Federal Loans and ECSI for Perkins Loans.
*Please keep in mind that these dates are subject to change.