Academic Support & Resources

How do I get a tutor?

Easy! If you’re struggling with a specific class, you can complete our online tutor request form. Depending on the discipline, either Deborah Jackson or Dorothy Dahm will match you with a tutor. Once you’ve submitted the form, you can check your Castleton e-mail for updates.

If you need help with math or writing, you can use our drop-in Math and Writing Clinics. For more extensive assistance with math or writing, stop by the front desk or call 802-468-1347 to schedule an appointment with Deborah Jackson (math) or Dorothy Dahm (writing)

Tutor Request Form

I am interested in the TRIO grant. How do I know if I am eligible?

Complete the TRIO grant application and submit it to the Academic Support Center. If you are TRIO-eligible, have received a Pell Grant, have earned less than 60 credits, and use the Academic Support Center regularly, you are a good candidate for the grant. Applications are reviewed in October and February. 

How much do Academic Support Services cost?

All of our services - clinics, tutoring, counseling - are provided at no cost to the student.

How do I get help if I am having trouble in class?

You have three options:
1. For help with a paper or math assignment, visit our walk-in math and writing clinics. No appointment is needed and help is available Monday through Friday with daytime and evening hours. For more information contact:

Dorothy Dahm (writing) and Deborah Jackson (math), or Kelley Beckwith

2. For help in a specific course, take advantage of our tutoring services. Upon receiving your request for a tutor, we will match you up with a tutor so that the two of you can meet at a mutually convenient time. Tutor request forms are available in the Academic Support Center or via email. For more information contact:

Dorothy Dahm (writing and humanities) and Deborah Jackson (math and science)

3. If you are struggling with time management, stress, study skills, test taking, or just need someone to talk to about your class, make an appointment with our academic counselor.

I have a disability, what should I do to prepare for college?

The most important steps are to understand the differences between high school and college and plan ahead for your specific needs. Read our 10 Tips for Students with Disabilities and call, email, or visit us with any questions.

I am interested in your Summer Transition Program (STP), how do I find out more about it?

Visit the STP section of our website, including the program application. First-year students are encouraged to apply for STP in May or June. Applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis with a final deadline in July. Space is limited.