Master of Athletic Training (MAT) Admissions Requirements and Application Process
1. Enrolled in the Castleton University Kinesiology/Pre-Athletic Training bachelor’s degree program OR earned a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university by the time of matriculation to the MAT program.
2. A statement that addresses why you want to pursue a master of athletic training degree, previous exposure you have had with an athletic trainer or another health care provider, and your professional goals. Please limit your statement to 500 words or fewer and include a word count at the end of your statement.
3. Current Résumé.
4. Two letters of reference that speak to your scholarship and potential as a health care professional.
5. Official transcript of all college/university work, both graduate and undergraduate. It is with your success in mind that we carefully review your academic foundation. We encourage interested students to apply. Admission to the program may be granted if the applicant has an undergraduate cumulative G.P.A. of at least 3.0 on a 4-point scale and shows aptitude for graduate studies as reflected in references, writing ability, and personal objectives.
6. Transcript must verify completion of all of the following prerequisite courses with a grade of "C" or better:
- Human Anatomy (3-4 cr with lab)
- Human Physiology (3-4 cr with lab)
- Chemistry (3-4 cr with lab)
- Physics (3-4 cr with lab)
- Biology (3-4 cr with lab)
- Kinesiology or Biomechanics
- Physiology of Exercise
- Introductory Psychology
- Public Health (or equivalent)
- Personal Health (or equivalent)
7. Current CPR certification at the professional rescuer level prior to matriculation to the MAT program.
8. Students who meet all requirements 1-7 listed above will be contacted after Feb 1st to set up an interview.
9. Criminal background check prior to matriculation to the MAT program. Castleton uses CastleBranch for the certified background check.
10. Students must meet minimum technical standard requirements to be eligible to participate in the MAT Program. A completed Technical Standards form must be submitted prior to matriculation to the MAT program. This form can be found in the MAT Program Policies And Procedures, which are available on the Master of Athletic Training web page.
Application Deadline and Process:
Students will apply to the program through the Athletic Training Centralized Application Service (ATCAS). Apply now to begin the application process.
The application deadline is February 1st. Program faculty will review completed applications after this deadline. Applications will continue to be accepted and reviewed after this deadline if space in the cohort permits.
For More Information:
If you have questions regarding your application, contact the Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 802-468-1213. For questions about the program, contact Reese Boucher, Athletic Training Program Director, at email@example.com or 802-468-1435.