Adopt-A-Bot, Berhrendt, Summer 2020
||EDU 5515 C11
||Online using Google Classroom and videoconferencing
|Dates and Times:
||July 15 - Aug 15, 2020
||3 graduate credits
Note: Course payment or purchase order of $1,250, payable to Castleton University, is due at the time of registration. A purchase order number can be entered into the online registration form and the purchase order can be uploaded to the registration form. If paying by check, please mail the check to: Financial & Registration Services, Castleton University, 62 Alumni Drive, Castleton, VT 05753. To help us ensure that your payment is applied to the correct course, PLEASE WRITE “CFS” IN THE CHECK MEMO LINE. Thank you.
Edison is a Chromebook compatible, programmable robot, designed to be a complete STEM teaching resource for coding and robotics education for students from 4 to 16 years of age. All of the Edison robotics programming languages have complementary teaching resources including lesson plans, teacher’s guides and student activities & worksheet sets.
The Adopt-A-Bot class is a summer class where you get to adopt and keep two Edison robots. You will learn to code the little guys, get them to talk to each other, and even build them into mega Lego machines. You will become familiar with the lesson plans and teaching resources available through the website.
There is an optional inquiry day that will take place via video or in-person where we can all meet and explore together.
Course Goals & Objectives
Have teachers become comfortable enough with the Edison robots to confidently introduce them to their students.
- Become familiar with the usage of Edison Robots.
- Become familiar with the teaching resources offered by Edison.
- Create student projects and classroom resources.
A computer: Mac, Windows, or Chromebook
- Complete the EdBlocks lessons plans.
- Complete key lessons from the EdScratch lesson plans.
- Complete the 5 EdCreate lego add-ons.
- Plan a unit to introduce the Edisions to your students.
- Complete assigned units from the Edison Robot pre-built lesson plans
- Build all 5 Edison Robot LegoCrate Kits
- Design resources for the use with the Edison robots in your class.
- Create an accessible unit for your class.
Each module will have its own proficiency rubric.
For additional course information
For additional registration information