Building and Appreciating Values, Perspectives, and Beliefs Through The Incorporation of Non-Fiction Multicultural Children's Literature Within The Literacy Curriculum, Terry, Fall 2019
||EDU 5620 C10
||Laura Terry, B.Ed., BA.P., and P.G.C.SE.
||Online via Canvas
|Dates and Times:
||October 21, 2019- January 13, 2020
||3 graduate credits
By introducing and implementing non-fiction multicultural children's literature into the literacy curriculum, this will enable our learners to develop and build their own values, perspectives, beliefs, and to appreciate and respect those of others from different countries and cultures. Our learners will build and strengthen their courage and raise their own awareness to honor differences other than their own. Empathy toward others and advocating for basic human rights for all can be achieved! Learning we all can make a difference in the world we live in is so powerful!
Course Goals & Objectives
Raise awareness of diversity and culture
- Build appreciation for others’ values, perspectives, and beliefs in other countries
- Promote the development of connections between cultures
- Honor differences, build empathy, and encourage discussions with your learners
- Help your learners understand and advocate for their own basic human rights and those basic human rights for all children.
- Take pride in discovering the purpose in your own teachings!
You will also need to purchase the following non-fiction multicultural children's literature books:
The Girl Who Buried Her Dreams in a Can A True Story by Dr. Tererai Trent
The Librarian of Basra A True Story From Iraq by Jeanette Winter
Malala A Brave Girl From Pakistan and Iqbal A Brave Boy From Pakistan by Jeanette Winter (both stories are in the same book)
Biblioburro A True Story From Columbia by Jeanette Winter
Nasreen’s Secret School A True Story From Afghanistan by Jeanette Winter
Wangari’s Trees Of Peace A True Story From Africa by Jeanette Winter
There will also be articles provided by the instructor.
For additional course information
(802) 849-2225 or (802) 324-4678
For additional registration information