Concepts in Personal and Community Health for Educators, Fernandez, Fall 2019
||EDU 5515 C42 (Graduate)
|Dates and Times:
||October 7 – December 8, 2019
||2 Graduate Credits
This online course is a comprehensive study and reflection of personal health and wellness with an emphasis on mental and emotional health, stress-management, physical activity, healthy aging, personal safety, and consumer health.
Audience: Primary audience is educators working towards a Vermont teaching endorsement for health education.
Course Goals & Objectives
Course Goals: To prepare Vermont educators to demonstrate an understanding of personal health topics and be able to apply this knowledge to their own state of health as well as to the classroom.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Access current and new information about personal health topics.
- Describe the concept of health, health education, and health promotion and the trends/issues facing the profession.
- Apply critical thinking skills to examine controversial issues in health education.
- Integrate essential health skills as defined by the National Health Education Standards
- Construct a standards-based unit plan that includes a variety of participatory instructional activities that are age-appropriate, reflective of research on learning and human behavior, and aligned with the National Health Education Standards.
- Explain and describe the importance of personal decision making and behavior change strategies.
- Identify strategies for analyzing web-based health resources.
- Describe the medical, environmental, and holistic models of health.
- Understand and define lifestyle disease.
Michael L. Teague; Sara L.C. Mackenzie; David M. Rosenthal. E-book version of Connect for Teague, Your Health Today: Choices in a Changing Society, 4e. McGraw-Hill Connect
A reading book of choice will be required to obtain either through purchase or library lending for a book report project. Additional course and reading materials will be provided at no charge to the participants to download through the online course.
For additional course information
For additional registration information