Designing Proficiency-Based Assessments, Spring 2019
||EDU 5515 C13 (Graduate)
||Gabrielle Marquette Lumbra
|Dates and Times:
||January 28 - March 24, 2019. Asynchronous meetings online.
||3 Graduate Credits
Note: Course payment of $925 by check or purchase order, payable to Castleton University, is due at the time of registration. A purchase order number can be entered into the online registration form and the purchase order can be uploaded to the registration form. If paying by check, please mail the check to Financial & Registration Services, Castleton University, 62 Alumni Drive, Castleton, VT 05753. To help us ensure that your payment is applied to the correct course, PLEASE WRITE “CFS” IN THE CHECK MEMO LINE. Thank you.
Shifting to a proficiency-based education model requires a transformation in teacher assessment practices and beliefs. It is a shift from the teacher evaluating student learning to learners creating evidence of proficiency. In this course, participants will explore the various aspects of this shift in order to design proficiency-based assessments and transform assessment practices so that learners can become active participants in their own academic growth.
Course Goals & Objectives
- Reflect on current assessment practices
- Identify systemic shifts in current assessment practices
- Increase student involvement in assessment
- Identify the role of assessment in a proficiency-based system.
- Distinguish between evidence and assessment.
- Define “proficient”.
- Design a system for tracking progress in a proficiency-based system.
- Identify the role of learning targets in assessment cycles in a proficiency-based system.
- Design assessments that can be used as evidence of learning.
- Describe the role of reflection in a proficiency-based system
Responses to reading
Learning Scale design
Design assessments that support proficiency-based learning
Costs, if any, for the required readings are not included in the course cost.
Gobble, T. (2016). Proficiency-based assessment: Process, not product. Bloomington, IN Solution Tree Press.
For additional course information
Gabrielle Marquette Lumbra
For additional registration information