Discover the Learner Using the UDL Lens, Spring 2019
||EDU 5515 C11
||Online with live Zoom meetings at specific dates/times to be announced.
||February 19 – April 30, 2019
||3 graduate credits
Course payment of $925 by check or purchase order, payable to Castleton University, is due at the time of registration. A purchase order number can be entered into the online registration form and the purchase order can be uploaded to the registration form. If paying by check, please mail the check to Financial & Registration Services, Castleton University, 62 Alumni Drive, Castleton, VT 05753. To help us ensure that your payment is applied to the correct course, PLEASE WRITE “CFS” IN THE CHECK MEMO LINE. Thank you.
To create learner-centered environments where ownership to learning is the goal, it requires learners to understand who they are and how they learn. Using the Universal Design for Learning (UDL) Lens of Access, Engage and Express in a 3-step process, participants will learn how to create a Learner Profile (LP) for their grade level, learn how to build a Personal Learning Backpack (PLB) with a learner and design a Personal Learning Plan (PLP) with the learner so they can develop independent learning skills. To implement LP, PLB, and PLP in the upcoming year, an implementation plan will be developed by each participant.
Audience: K-12 teachers; recommend teams of K-2, 3-5 or 6-8 or 9-12 teachers.
Course Goals & Objectives
To gain the knowledge and skills to develop and implement the 3-step process using the UDL Lens of Access, Engage and Express for learners to achieve agency and self-advocacy skills for lifelong learning.
- learn about Universal Design for Learning and how it can be used as a lens in a 3-step process to develop learner agency with learners.
- adapt a Learner Profile (LP) using the UDL Lens of Access, Engage, and Express.
- learn how to develop a Personal Learning Backpack (PLB) of tools and/or apps along with skills with each learner. (This will include a 2-hour session on iOS or Chrome apps that can support challenges and enhance strengths).
- understand how to create a Personal Learning Plan (PLP) with each learner to set learning goals and action steps to achieve independent self-directed skills based on the PLB.
- review models of personal, college and career, and citizenship goals
- design prompts for conversations around LP, PLB, and PLP.
- develop a plan and action steps for the implementation of the PL, PLP, and PLP.
Required Readings/Texts are not included in the course tuition:
How to Personalize Learning: A Practical Guide for Getting Started and Going Deeper
Other Suggested Readings/Texts:
- Personalization and UDL: The Perfect Match. ASCD Educational Leadership, March 2017
- Empowering Learners with The Learner Profile. Post with Infographic
- Personal Learning Backpack: Empowering Learners with the UDL Lens of Access, Engage and Express.™ Post with Infographic
- Personal Learning Plan: Empowering Learners to be Future Ready
- Post with infographic
- Understanding the Pedagogy of a Learning Science to Nurture an Inclusive Learning Culture
- Discover the Learner – Building the Skills of Agency and Self-Advocacy Using the UDL Lens
- Adapt a Learner Profile (LP) and create a template for your grade level.
- Work and collaborate in pairs to create conversation prompts between teacher and learner about the LP strengths and challenges to build a PLB.
- Create a resource for the Personal Learning Backpack (PLB) that includes tools, apps, and the skills learners would need to support a challenge or enhance a strength.
- Adopt a Personal Learning Plan (PLP) template for their grade level(s) that includes learning goals Access, Engage, Express), personal goals, citizenship goals and college/career goals (applicable to the grade levels).
- Develop a one-year implementation plan for their grade level(s). If working as a school team, work collaboratively to develop this plan.
- Present their LP, PLB resource, and PLP to the entire group. (Choice of medium)
- Contribute and reflect on posts in course FB Group.
- Adaptation of the Combined Learner Profile (LP), Personal Learning Backpack (PLB) and Personal Learning Plan (PLP) for their grade level(s).
For course information contact:
For registration information and assistance contact: