Educating Students with Moderate to Severe Disabilities, Wilcox, Summer 2019 (July)
||EDU 5515 C73 (Graduate)
||Joy Wilcox, M.Ed.
||Montpelier Elks Club, East Montpelier, VT.
|Dates and Times:
||July 29-August 6, 2019 from 8:30 am -4:30 pm
Note:Please register directly with the Vermont Higher Education Collaborative (VT-HEC). VT-HEC will then give you the link to Castleton's online registration form. Payment is payable and due to VT-HEC.
The focus of this course is to provide participants with the necessary components to create an effective school program for students with moderate to severe needs. Emphasis will be placed on choosing and utilizing appropriate assessments procedures, utilizing research based instruction strategies, creating individual educational programs, and collaboration in the general education setting. This course will look at areas of development for children with moderate to severe disabilities including: academic, motor, social, communication, safety, domestic living, recreation/leisure.
As a result of successful completion of this course the student will:
- Demonstrate an understanding how language, culture, and family background influence the learning of individuals with moderate to severe disabilities
- Demonstrate an understanding of the assessment process as it relates to students with moderate to severe disabilities
- Develop, implement and evaluate individual educational plans including functional and behavioral objectives, consideration for inclusion, community based instruction utilizing best practices, research based methods and technology
- Develop instructional materials and data collection systems for specific activities and lesson plans
- Utilize structured teaching strategies to design and/or adapt the physical environment, daily schedules, work systems, routines and visual organization of the task
- Demonstrate the ability to complete all of the necessary paperwork and prepare a concise and legally correct Individual Education Plan
- Demonstrate an understanding of how assistive technology can support a student with a moderate to severe disability
For a complete syllabus, contact instructor Joy Wilcox.
For additional course information
For additional registration information