I Wish My Teacher Knew, Hair, Spring 2023
||EDU 5515 C10
|Dates and Times:
||January 30 – March 13, 2022
||3 Graduate Credits
Kids don’t learn when they don’t feel safe or valued. The I Wish My Teacher Knew strategy is a resource containing the tools teachers need to build a strong foundation for the classroom. It supports teachers to connect with their students on a personal level. When students feel known by their teachers, they are more likely to feel authentically connected to the learning community. Ideally, this strategy would be used in the beginning, middle and end of the school year to begin and maintain a meaningful connection with students.
Audience: All educators
Course Goals & Objectives
Course Goals: Learn how to use an empowered mindset to develop a positive classroom culture
- Clarify best educator practices
- Gain strategies for effective classroom management using 19 keys of What Great Teachers Do Differently
- Understand the impact of creating life-altering relationships with students and families
- Analyze and apply 19 things that matter most
- Complete reflection activities to reinforce learning
- Analyze beliefs, behaviors, attitudes, and interactions that form life in the classroom and schools.
- Gather information from several sources on supporting and reaching various student populations in the classroom
- Discuss patterns of classroom interactions that are friendly and demonstrate general caring and respect
- Discuss what motivates children to do well in school and in the outside world
- Employ constructive use of consequences and practice empathy in classroom role-play situations
- Employ nineteen keys in ways supported by research strategies (Nineteen Things That Matter Most)
Jennifer Hair, M.A., is an experienced business and visual arts teacher with over 18 years of experience in the secondary classroom. She is passionate teacher educator who enjoys sharing her love of personal and professional development, students and integrating technology in real-world learning situations. She specializes in using social media for professional development, web technologies, and everything Adobe Creative Suite.
Required Texts are not included in the course tuition.
I wish my teacher knew.
Boston, MA : Da Capo Lifelong Books, a member of the Perseus Books Group, 
For additional course information
For additional registration information
Center for Schools Team