Implementing and Integrating SEL Seamlessly: Collaborative Teacher Practices, Spaulding, Summer 2020
||EDU 5515 C39
|Dates and Times:
August 3- 13, 2020
Note: Please register online. Purchase order or payment of $975, payable to CASTLETON UNIVERSITY, is due at the time of registration. Please mail the check to: Financial & Registration Services, Castleton University, 62 Alumni Drive, Castleton, VT 05735. To help us ensure that your payment is applied to the correct course, PLEASE WRITE “CFS” IN THE CHECK MEMO LINE.
Social and Emotional learning has never been more important than it is now. Schools have been facing new challenges in the area of disciplinary actions, classroom management and safety. As populations change and evolve, our instructional strategies must as well. In this course, we will examine the challenges faced by educators in the environment we knew before the COVID-19 pandemic and look to the future of how we can be prepared to support students when we return to school. We will explore the importance and value of Restorative practices, trauma informed practices and mindfulness practices. You will leave this course with practical strategies, diverse platforms for delivering social and emotional instructions and tools to have on hand in your classroom. You will have the tools you need to help students learn how to develop self-awareness as well as practice daily self-regulation skills. You will learn strategies to empower students to problem solve when they feel conflict (personally and socially). Most importantly, you will leave this course with a plan of action for your own self-care.
Audience: Practicing Educators, grades K-6
Understand the WHY of social and emotional learning
1) Educate and inform on the impact of trauma (primary and secondary) on students and teachers.
2) Educators will learn how to integrate social and emotional learning into their daily teaching practice.
3) Educators will develop a plan for SEL implementation for their classroom.
4) Educators will create a plan for self-care in the work place.
1) Introducing and becoming familiar with the concept of social and emotional learning (SEL), the benifits to your students and to yourselves.
2) Educators will read and respond to readings to familiarize themselves with current SEL practices.
3) Educators will create products for use in their classroom to drive SEL instruction.
4) Educators will create a plan for self-care in their professional environment
Required texts are not included in the course tuition.
1) The Heart of Learning and Teaching: Compassion Resiliency and Academic Success by Ray Wolpow PH.D. , Mona M. Johnson Ed.D. CDP, Ron Hertel B.S. , Sisan O. Kincaid PH.D.; Third printing May 2016 (available as a PDF). This will be provided to you by the instructor.
2) Everyday SEL in Elementary School : Integrating Social-Emotional Learning and Mindfulness Into Your Classroom by Carla Tantillo Philbert. ISBN-13: 978-1138903159
3) The Little Book of Restorative Discipline for Schools: Teaching Responsibility;Creating Caring Climates by Lorraine Stutzman Amstutz (2015)
For additional course information
For additional registration information