Integrating Writing Across Science and Social Studies, Wells, Summer 2020
||EDU 5620 C06
|Dates and Times:
||July 11 - August 16, 2020.
||3 Graduate Credits
Find new and engaging ways to integrate writing into your science and social studies lessons. Both the C3 Social Studies Standards and the NGSS Science Standards provide a wealth of opportunities for students to use their writing as evidence. Move your students beyond the tri-fold and book report and into genuinely engaging writing.
Course Goals & Objectives
- Provide an overview of the C3 Social Studies Framework and its Inquiry Arc
- Provide an overview of the NGSS Standards and Lesson Design
- Instruct participants on the role of writing in an inquiry based lesson
- Support participants as they design an inquiry based Social Studies or Science Lesson which uses student writing as evidence.
Participants in this course will demonstrate their ability to do the following:
- Develop an understanding of the C3 Social Studies Framework and its Inquiry Arc
- Develop an understanding of the NGSS Standards and Lesson Design
- Develop an understanding of the role of writing in an inquiry based lesson
- Demonstrate an overall understanding of how student writing can be used as evidence in a C3 Social Studies unit or an NGSS Science Unit
Costs, if any, for the required readings are not included in the course tuition.
Swan, Lee & Grant, Inquiry Design Model: Building Inquiries in Social Studies, 2018
Serravallo, The Writing Strategies Book, 2017
Various NGSS web resources: https://www.nextgenscience.org/
For additional course information
For additional registration information