|Course Number:||EDU 5626 C06|
|Instructor:||Beth Adreon, MA, CAGS|
|Dates and Times:||February 1 - May 5, 2020|
|Credits:||3 Graduate Credits|
Participants will examine and define math learning difficulties and disabilities in students, and determine intervention strategies for students struggling with mathematics. Topics for investigation and a starting place for resources in three areas follow: research in math disabilities; Universal screening and diagnosis, and Assessment and Diagnosis of Mathematics Learning Problems / Disabilities; and Programs that address learning difficulties in math. How math instruction will change based on the Common Core State Standards in Mathematics will be a focus. This course will benefit K-12 teachers of mathematics and special educators. Course will be targeted based on participant needs and interest.
● Teachers understand how learners grow and develop (VT Standard 1).
● Teachers can use individual differences to ensure inclusive learning environments (VT Standard 2).
● Teachers work in teams to support individual and collaborative learning
(VT Standard 3).
● Teacher understands the central concepts, tools of inquiry and structures
of the discipline(s) he or she teaches (VT Standard 4).
● Teachers understand how to connect concepts to engage learners (VT Standard 5).
● Teachers use multiple methods of assessment to engage learners in their
own growth (VT Standard 6).
● Teachers plan instruction to support all learners (VT Standard 7).
● Teachers use multiple ways to encourage learners (VT Standard 8).
● Teachers evaluate and reflect on their practice (VT Standard 9).
● Teachers collaborate with others to ensure learner growth (VT Standard
● Who is the struggling math learner?
● Why is learning mathematics so difficult for so many learners?
● How can I identify the struggling math learner?
● How can I support the struggling math learner?
● Examine cognitive processing challenges
● Frameworks for Understanding Student thinking
● Develop intervention strategies and structures to support struggling learners
● Identify areas of processing for math students and where breakdowns may occur
● Identify intervention and differentiation strategies for struggling math students
Abeel, Samantha My Thirteenth Winter. 2003.
Tapper, John Solving for Why: Understanding, Assessing and Teaching Students Who
Struggle with Math, 2012
Common Core Mathematics Standards
Additional works supplied via PDF