Social Studies Inquiry Design K-12, Wells, Spring 2023
|EDU 5515 C23
|Dates and Times:
|January 28, 2023 through March 11, 2022. Online Video Introduction Session: January 28th 9AM until 12PM.
|3 Graduate Credits
It is an exciting time for Social Studies in Vermont with the state adopting the inquiry based C3 Framework to guide our work. Students in this course will learn how to build an inquiry based social study unit that can easily be integrated into literacy instruction. Participants will study questions, sources and activities that lead to a student’s deeper understanding of Social Studies concepts. The course will culminate with each participant having an inquiry based lesson that they can teach in their classroom.
Instructor Bio: David was a Vermont teacher, principal and superintendent for over thirty years. He believes in making classrooms safe and engaging for students with plenty of project based learning. When he is not teaching at Castleton you can find David spending time with his grandchildren or restoring vintage typewriters!
Audience: All Educators
Course Goals & Objectives
- Provide a thorough overview of the C3 Framework and its Inquiry Arc
- Present the key features of inquiry based social studies lessons: questions, tasks, sources, and presenting arguments.
- Support participants as they design an inquiry based Social Studies Lesson.
Participants in this course will demonstrate their ability to do the following:
- Develop an understanding of the C3 Framework and its Inquiry Arc
- Identify and understand the role of questions, tasks, sources and the presentation of strong arguments in an inquiry based Social Studies Lesson.
- Demonstrate an overall understanding of an inquiry based Social Studies instruction by developing a unit that will be taught in the participant’s classroom.
Required Texts are not included in the course tuition.
Swan, Lee & Grant, Inquiry Design Model: Building Inquiries in Social Studies, 2018
National Council for the Social Studies (2014) C3 Framework for Social Studies State Standards
Web Resource: http://www.c3teachers.org/
For additional course information
For additional registration information
Center for Schools Team