TED Talks in the Classroom, Hair, Fall 2019
||EDU 5515 C20
|Dates & Times:
||November 4 - December 15, 2019
||3 Graduate Credits
Note: Course payment or purchase order of $975, payable to Castleton University, is due at the time of registration. A purchase order number can be entered into the online registration form. If paying by check, please mail the check to: Financial & Registration Services, Castleton University, 62 Alumni Drive, Castleton, VT 05735. To help us ensure that your payment is applied to the correct course, PLEASE WRITE “CFS” IN THE CHECK MEMO LINE. Thank you.
Education is all about ideas and igniting the fire and passion within our students who are a part of a global community. TED is an organization that helps teachers bring ideas into conversation and debate. TED Talks spark conversations and provides a dynamic space where teachers, students, and learners of all backgrounds can pitch lesson ideas and participate in a conversation about TED-Ed and Education at large.
Lessons created and shared through the TED platform. Students and teachers can create their own TED Talks to bring diverse voices, questions, and global perspectives into classroom discussions. This course will inspire and ignite passion for education.
Audience: All educators
At the end of the course, students will be able to:
- Select and create videos and other multimedia web-based learning objects using evidence-based instructional design principles
- Illustrate how flipped/project-based learning meets the needs of diverse learners, including differences based on race, age, gender, socioeconomic status, ability, disability, and learning styles
- Collaborate with others using online tools and demonstrate how to locate or create video and other teaching materials for home use by learners for a specific instructional need.
- Design cooperative learning and peer tutoring activities using the flipped approach and utilize self and group assessment rubrics to assess group work and team activities.
- Defend chosen presentations and how they will impact educational setting
- Systematically improve their technology leadership skills and professional development plan through the integration of TED Talks.
- Create original, customized and interactive lessons using TED-Ed platform
- Support professional development activities that target active involvement in professional learning communities through social engagement with TED community events.
No required texts. Internet connection and device to connect to Internet is required. High-speed suggested. Instructor will provide resources in online learning management system.
For Additional Course Information
For Additional Registration Information: