The Computer Information Systems (CIS) program is for students who want to continually learn and adapt new technology in order to analyze and develop business-focused solutions.
In the CIS program, you will develop the knowledge and skills in analyzing and designing business applications, databases, and websites.
Students will gain a broad-based business core, a solid foundation in critical thinking and analysis, the ability to design and create an information technology solution, as well as strong communication and team skills.
Highlights of the Computer Information Systems Program
- Prepare yourself for employment in the field of Computer Information Systems through a hands-on, service-learning environment
- The CIS program is sponsored by the Business Administration Department, allowing you to closely interact with professionals in Accounting, Management, and Marketing
- Tap into the expertise of industry professionals and utilize the University’s extensive computing resources
Careers in Computer Information Systems
Through combining business problems with information systems, the CIS program prepares you for entry-level computer-related careers as well as graduate-level studies in computing, information systems, and technology disciplines.
With experience, you can advance to any number of career paths in government, commerce, or industry to senior positions in computer information technology fields. Students are also well prepared to continue their studies at the graduate level.
A degree in CIS provides you with a solid foundation for a variety of careers, including:
- Computer support specialist
- IT technician
- Help desk support
- Junior database developer
- Web developer
- Application developer
- Software programmer
- Systems analyst
Graduates from the CIS program have procured jobs with companies such as GE Aviation, Oracle/Taleo, Datamann, Inc., Co-operative Insurance Companies, and Addison Rutland Supervisory Union.
Internships in Computer Information Systems
Castleton students have benefited from internships in the financial sector, the healthcare sector, the hospitality and resort management sector, and the manufacturing sector, including recent internships with the following businesses:
- GE Aviation
- Castleton University IT Services
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Vermont Country Store
- Castleton University Energy Conservation
- JNH Environmental