English majors at Castleton flourish in a close-knit community that appreciates the value of reading and writing.
Ignited by influential works of literature that are by turns challenging, entertaining, and insightful, students explore the intricate web of relationships among writer, text, reader, and culture. As a result, you will develop strong creative and critical thinking abilities that enhance your classroom experience and prepare you for your journey ahead.
Students participate in a rigorous, varied, and stimulating course of study designed to prepare you for a wide variety of career paths in teaching, business, law, medicine, journalism, government, and more, or further studies in graduate school
Highlights of the English Program
- The Castleton English program offers course flexibility, plentiful internships, and gateway classes at the beginning and the conclusion of your program.
- Small class sizes give you the opportunity for personal engagement with your peers, professors, and course content.
- Further develop your ability to think creatively and critically, solve real-world problems, and communicate clearly and elegantly in both speech and writing.
- Explore rich thought and insight in American Literature, expand your horizon and global view in World Literature, and engage with the design and cultural impact of Children’s Literature.
English Literature Scholarship
Applying for the English Literature Scholarship is open to all English majors. There is no application for this scholarship; students simply apply for admission as an English major to be considered. Recipients of this $2,500 award are selected by department faculty and awards are renewable all four years of study.
Career Opportunities with an English Degree
A degree in English is a versatile option that can lead to many different career paths. The ability to communicate effectively verbally and in written forms is in high demand. Here are some recent examples of successful careers that our English alumni have embarked on:
- Web & marketing manager
- Spokesperson, New York State Farm Bureau
- IT coordinator
- HS English teacher
- Credit analyst
- Art licensing associate
- Wholesale grocery buyer
- Children's librarian
- Technical writer
- Copy editor
Others have pursued advanced degrees in literature, writing, theater, and library science, and more.
Internship Opportunities for English Majors
English majors have pursued internships in a variety of fields and locations, depending upon student interest and placement opportunities.
Students in the past have completed rewarding internships at publishing houses, art centers, museums, and an international toy company, just to name a few.
You may also apply to the Honors in Literature Program, join the Literary Club, and create an independent study.
3+2 program with Vermont Law School
Highly-focused English majors can also take advantage of our 3+2 program with Vermont Law School, which allows you to earn a Bachelor’s degree in just three years at Castleton and a Juris Doctor (JD) degree in just two years at VLS.