English Honors Program Requirements
These requirements are from an excerpt from the University Academic Catalog, which outlines the requirements for a student to earn the distinction of being a Castleton University graduate. The complete catalog is available online.
Honors in English provides exceptional English majors the occasion to engage in sustained scholarly endeavor, to work under the careful guidance of departmental faculty, to produce an honors thesis or equivalent, and to be recognized for their achievements.
Students who wish to become candidates for Honors in English must meet these preliminary requirements:
- Make formal application to the English Department chair at the end of sophomore or the beginning of junior year.
- Attain a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or better in English and 3.0 or better overall by the time of application.
- Earn a recommendation of candidacy from the department.
Once recommended, students must meet the requirements for the Bachelors of Arts Degree in English (BA.ENG ) and these additional requirements:
- Complete ENG 4930 - Honors Thesis.
- Produce an honors thesis or equivalent with guidance from a department honors committee.
- Make a public presentation about the honors thesis or equivalent.
- Attain a final cumulative GPA of 3.5 or better in English and 3.0 or better overall.
- Earn an honors recommendation from the department. The designation "Honors in English" will appear on student transcripts.
Law Degree (CU/VLS 3+2)
This major participates in the 3+2 program with Vermont Law School, in which highly-focused students can earn a Bachelor's degree in just three years at CU and a Juris Doctor (JD) degree in just two years at VLS.
For details, see the Law Degree page.