The Castleton University Natural Sciences Department offers a bachelor's degree in Health Science that prepares you for admission to graduate programs in physical therapy, occupational therapy, and professional work in health care fields.
Health Science majors take a core of essential courses, such as Human Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry, and Physics. A solid foundation in these disciplines is important to anyone with an interest in human health.
Castleton’s Health Science major also includes a great deal of flexibility, allowing students to choose courses that will prepare them for the specific graduate program or career they seek.
Highlights of the Health Science Program
- Castleton has strong undergraduate programs in Exercise Science and Kinesiology, and many classes in these areas may be used to satisfy Health Science requirements. This allows you to take some specialized courses that can set you apart from other applicants for graduate school.
- All Health Science majors complete an internship. For most students, this will be a job shadowing experience with one of our local healthcare professionals during the academic year or, if more convenient, with a healthcare provider near your home over the summer.
- Castleton has an articulation agreement with Russell Sage College Graduate School in the Albany, N.Y., area that offers preferred admission of our graduates to Sage’s Occupational and Physical Therapy programs, as long as our students meet certain criteria. After graduation from Castleton, students can go on to earn a Master’s in Occupational Therapy (MS-OT) or a Doctorate in Physical Therapy (DPT) from Sage.
Health Science Outside of the Classroom
All students complete an internship or job shadowing experience. Castleton will help arrange your field experience with one of many local health care providers, or if more convenient, with a provider near your home over the summer. Field experience is a valuable step in choosing a career path, and practical experience is typically required by graduate programs in the health sciences.
Opportunities in Health Science
Castleton will give you a variety of options during your educational and professional career path. One-on-one advising sessions with faculty help match each student’s undergraduate coursework with prerequisites for employment or graduate/professional programs.
You will also have the opportunity to choose courses from an array of disciplines including Athletic Training, Biology, Exercise Science, and more.
The program provides students the ability to compliment a Health Science major with a minor in Health Promotion in preparation for becoming Certified Health Education Specialists. Additionally, Castleton offers cooperative agreements in:
- Masters in Occupational Therapy
- Doctor of Physical Therapy
- Doctor of Pharmacy
Health Science Outcomes
Our Health Science graduates are broadly trained and have excellent laboratory skills. Many graduates are working in hospitals or laboratories, in medical equipment sales, and other health-related careers. Graduates have an excellent record of success in gaining admission to a variety of graduate programs for:
- Doctor of Physical Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physician Assistant
- Nurse Practitioner
- Osteopathic Medicine
- Public Health Professional