Castleton’s Health Science program prepares students for admission to graduate programs in athletic training, physical therapy, occupational therapy, and professional work in a competitive job market. Our Health Science program offers three distinct concentration tracks, allowing you to focus your studies in a specific area that interests you.
Why Pursue a Health Science Degree at Castleton?
- Gain essential healthcare knowledge and skills. A bachelor’s degree in Health Science provides you with professional knowledge and skills that will be essential for future employment. All Health Science majors complete an internship or clinical experience, allowing you to gain hands-on experience before you graduate.
- Improve the lives of others. Castleton’s Health Science courses are focused on health care, intervention, and prevention, which means you’ll be equipped with tools to improve the quality of life of those in your community.
- Be ready for grad school. Our three concentrations in General Health Science, Pre-Professional, and Pre-Athletic Training prepare you for entrance into graduate school, including Castleton’s Master of Athletic Training. Castleton graduates also receive preferred admission to Russell Sage College Graduate School Occupational and Physical Therapy programs. Students can go on to earn a Master’s in Occupational Therapy (MS-OT) or a Doctorate in Physical Therapy (DPT) from Russell Sage. Students can also participate in the 3+4 Pharmacy Degree with Albany College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences.
Explore the Three Concentrations
Our Pre-Athletic Training degree track prepares you to continue your education in Castleton’s CAATE accredited Master of Athletic training program. This accelerated program allows you to complete your bachelor’s and master’s degrees in as little as five years. Students may choose to complete the four-year Health Science degree before applying to the MAT program.
Learn more about our Pre-Athletic Training concentration →
Our Pre-Professional degree track prepares you to apply to professional programs in the health care field, such as chiropractic medicine, occupational therapy, and physical therapy.
General Health Science
Our General Health Science degree track prepares you for a wide range of career paths in health-related fields or graduate programs.
What Careers in Health Science Can I Pursue?
Graduates of Castleton’s Health Science program have gone on to successful careers in a variety of settings, including hospitals, laboratories, fitness centers and sports clubs, sports medicine clinics, private agencies, and more.
You’ll graduate prepared for careers including:
- Personal Trainer
- Patient Care Advocate
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Equipment Sales Representative
- Health Education Specialist
View Castleton’s Career Outcomes →
What You’ll Learn
As a student in Castleton’s Health Science program, you will take courses that will strengthen your knowledge of the human body and how it works. The Health Science core courses help to establish a broad knowledge and skill set, with opportunities to explore certain topics in greater depth as part of your concentration or through a variety of elective courses.
- Human Anatomy & Physiology I
- Foundations of Health and Exercise Professions
- Human Growth and Development
- Community Health
- Clinical Exercise Testing and Prescription
- Strength Training Principles
View Health Science courses →
Meet our Health Science Faculty
Your professors bring a wealth of knowledge and experience from working as professionals and as skilled researchers in their respective fields. Castleton’s faculty are here to help you make connections for internships and future careers.
Meet Castleton’s Health Science faculty →