Benefits of Studying Philosophy
Studying philosophy improves reasoning and critical skills.
Skills gained by philosophy majors are useful in almost any career.
- The ability to think logically
- The ability to analyze and solve problems
- The ability to assess proposed solutions
- The ability to write and speak clearly, attending to details
Students learn about questions. How to ask good questions and distinguish the worthwhile from the worthless questions. How to divide, prioritize, and simplify questions.
Students are affected by learning about questions.
- Studying questions liberates us from prejudice
- It helps us to think independently, thus, promoting autonomy, self-government, and individuation
- It broadens our perspective on life
The study of philosophy benefits students intellectually, spiritually, and morally.
- Students learn about the origins of those ideas and concepts that are our common intellectual vocabulary.
- They learn that there is remarkable intellectual and spiritual connection between themselves and people from different times and places. They see firsthand a common and rich humanity.