Current information appears on Castleton University pages for students entering in and prior to the 2022-2023 academic year.
The Sport Management program at Castleton develops well-rounded professionals who are prepared to succeed in various areas of the sports industry. The program incorporates multidisciplinary and interactive coursework, service learning, and practical experiences to prepare you for a career in sport management fields.
Highlights of the Sport Management Program
- Gain insight into an array of areas, including ethics, strategic management and leadership in sport, marketing and communication of sport, legalities, budgets and finance, and facility and fitness center management
- Gain practical experience from your internship, which can serve as the catapult to your first job.
Internships in Sport Management
As a Sport Management major, you will be encouraged to step outside of your comfort level and secure an exciting and challenging internship within your dream industry.
Examples of past internship sites include:
- College Athletic Departments – Georgia State University, United States Military Academy, Siena College, University of Notre Dame, Dartmouth College, Middlebury College, Herkimer Community College, SUNY New Paltz, Castleton University
- Intercollegiate Athletic Conferences – NEAC, NAC
- Athletic Facilities – Spartan Arena
- Minor League Professional Organizations/Collegiate Baseball Leagues – Mohawk Valley Diamond Dawgs, Reading Fightin' Phils, Vermont Lake Monsters
- Professional Race Events – The Endurance Society, Spartan Races, PEAK Races
- High School Athletic Departments – Mill River Union, Black River, U32, Milton, South Burlington, Bellows Falls Union
- Fitness Centers/Health Clubs – The Gymnasium, Vermont Sport and Fitness
- Recreation Departments – Rutland Recreation, Fair Haven Recreation, Killington Recreation
- Other Great Opportunities – Killington Mountain School, Proctor Pittsford CC, Stockbridge Golf Course, The Great Escape, Marketing & Fundraising for an Olympic-hopeful athlete, Castleton Blue Line Club
Careers in Sport Management
Your Sport Management from Castleton prepares you to thrive in both graduate and professional settings. With a wide span of career opportunities available, you can concentrate your studies on a specialized field.
Graduates of the Sport Management program often pursue careers within the following industries:
- Professional sports
- Intercollegiate athletics
- Interscholastic athletics
- Voluntary athletic associations such as the National Collegiate Athletic Associations (NCAA) and high school athletic associations
- Promotions & marketing
- Health & fitness center management
- Athletic facility management
- Athletic event management
- Sporting goods retail operations
- Recreational sport
The Sport Management & Administration Club
The Sport Management & Administration Club (SMAC) is a student-run club designed to assist students in gaining knowledge and experience in the field of sport management via the resources of the University and our surrounding community. Benefits of participation in SMAC include:
- Increased awareness of internship opportunities
- Opportunities for networking with students and professionals outside of Castleton
- Attending career fairs and conferences
- Building a community within the sport management major