Undergraduate International Admission Requirements
Castleton is becoming Vermont State University in July 2023. Applications for Fall 2023 (beginning August 2023) are open and available now.
Current information appears on Castleton University pages for students entering in the 2022 academic year. If you are seeking information for fall 2023 forward, please see Vermont State University for information.
Please read the following information carefully to determine if you are considered an international applicant. If you have any questions, please contact us before you apply at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the purpose of admission, Castleton University defines “international applicants” as foreign nationals who hold or intend to hold any temporary non-immigrant visa/status in the U.S.A. Students who hold a non-immigrant visa/status and who attend U.S. high schools are also considered international applicants. Applicants who are U.S. citizens, U.S. permanent residents, pending permanent residency, political asylums, or refugees are considered “domestic applicants”.
To be considered for undergraduate admission to Castleton University, an international applicant MUST submit:
- Completed application. Please see 'How to Apply' links on the additional navigation of this page.
- Official transcripts. Official diploma and transcript of your complete high school studies. If you have at least one year of full-time college studies (all post-secondary studies), your high school transcript is not required. Transfer credits must be evaluated by an accredited service. All academic transcripts must be signed by the appropriate school or government official and must include the seal of the school or the government. If the documents are written in a language other than English, complete and certified true English translations must be furnished together with the official documents in that language. Photocopies or other copies must be certified true. Transcripts not in English must be translated and evaluated by a NACES accredited organization such as SpanTran, WES, or ECE.
- English proficiency tests. If English is not your first language, a minimum score of 71 iBT TOEFL, 6 IELTS, or 100 Duolingo English language test score is required. Other English language assessments may be substituted with permission from Castleton Admissions. Reported test scores must be from the previous two years. If your TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo result does not meet the minimum score for admission, you may be admitted to the Pathway Program for English Language Learners. This program is for students whose academic record is satisfactory but who require further development in one or more English skills areas. The University’s TOEFL code is 3765. SAT or ACT can be submitted to fulfill the test requirement. This option is popular with international first-year applicants whose native language is English or who have graduated from a high school where English is the instruction language.
- Application fee. This can be paid electronically after submitting your application. If paying by check or money order, the $40 fee can be made payable to Castleton University.
- International Student Certification of Finances. Your application must be accompanied by certification that sufficient funds will be available to meet both your living and tuition expenses while attending Castleton University. Refer to the Confidential Financial Certification for details.
- One letter of recommendation.
- A copy of your passport ID page.
- Copy of your Visa. If you are currently in the U.S, please enclose (a) a copy of your passport and visa pages, (b) a copy of your I-94 Card, and/or (c) a copy of your current I-20 or DS2019.
Your application for admission and supporting credentials should be filed as early as possible to allow sufficient time to process your application, get your visa, and arrange for transportation. The information and the documents you provide will be carefully examined.
Please submit the above documents to:
86 Seminary Street
Castleton, Vermont 05735, USA
Phone: (802) 468-1431
Fax: (802) 639-6044
Track Your Castleton Application
Should you choose to apply, we will email you a personal link to your Application Status Page, where you will be able to track your application. Please ensure we always have your most up-to-date email address on file.