Break Housing & Meals

You may stay in your room during part or all of the school breaks during the school year at no extra charge. To do this, you must complete the Break Housing Application Form. This will keep your student ID card active (turned on) during the break so you can enter buildings on campus, including your own residence hall. 

Meals during break are not included in your meal plan. Huden Dining Hall is usually closed during breaks. If you stay on campus during break, you will have to make other plans for eating. Here are some options:

  •  You may prepare meals in the kitchen in your residence hall. To make this easier for you, The Bus runs between campus and downtown Rutland, which you are encouraged to use to shop for food items required to prepare your meals. Castleton has a Village Store on Main Street where you can purchase many food items as well, but the selection is smaller than what is available at the supermarkets in Rutland.
  • If you would like to borrow dishes, silverware, glasses, cups and pots and pans, please contact the International Student Office. There are a number of "break kits" available.  
  • If your residence hall does not have a good kitchen, your student ID card allows you to enter other residence halls until 11 pm every day, so you may cook and prepare meals in other kitchens. This is fun to do with friends!
  • There are a number of restaurants within walking distance of the University.