Frequently Asked Questions

Reslife FAQs

How do I apply for housing?

All students living on campus are required to:

1. Sign a housing contract for the full academic year
2. Have an on campus meal plan

New Students:

Full-time, matriculated registered students are eligible for on campus housing. It is a condition of enrollment at Castleton University that all, traditional age students in their first two years of full-time enrollment must live in a University residence hall unless they commute from their parent’s or guardian’s home. All on-campus residents must be on a residential meal plan. 

Current or Returning Students:

Returning students currently residing on campus, who paid housing deposits on time, are eligible to participate in the room selection process. All other students will be housed on a space availability basis.

I've decided that commuting to school isn't working for me; can I move onto campus mid semester?

Yes, follow the steps listed under "How do I apply for housing?"

Is there a specific freshman or first year student hall at Castleton?

No, each residence hall houses both new and returning students.

When will I find out what my assignment is and who my roommate(s) will be?

New students are assigned to rooms prior to the start of the semester in which they enter. You will be notified of your roommate and room assignment by mail before the start of classes. Roommate contact information is provided to encourage communication prior to arrival.

Can I choose a roommate or live with a friend?

Students may request a roommate, but in order to be assigned with the person they request the other student must request them as well before the deadline (July 1 for the fall semester and January 1 for spring semester). If they do not they will be assigned a roommate by Residence Life.

How do I get specific information about my residence hall?

Room types and sizes vary by residence hall. See our complete list of residence halls and themed housing for further information.

Can I have a single room?

Single rooms are limited on a first come first served basis. We offer single rooms on campus in Ellis Hall and in the Downtown Rutland Apartments.

When can I move in to my residence hall?

The official date to move into residence halls is posted each academic year on Castleton's academic calendar.

What should I bring to my residence hall room?

  • Twin XL Bed Sheets/Blankets
  • Comforter
  • Mattress Pad
  • Pillows
  • Storage Drawers
  • Coat Hangers
  • Toiletries
  • Shower Caddy
  • Shower Shoes
  • Rug
  • White Board
  • Computer
  • Headphones
  • Surge Protector
  • Desk Lamp
  • Waste Basket
  • School Supplies
  • Alarm Clock
  • Posters
  • Poster Putty/Command Strips
  • Air Fresheners
  • Fan
  • Laundry Detergent
  • Dryer Sheets
  • Broom
  • Umbrella
  • Quarters for laundry
  • Television
  • *Mini Fridge (4.4 C/F max)
  • *Microwave

*Only one refrigerator less than 4.4 cubic foot is allowed in each room. Microwaves are not allowed in Babcock Hall, Ellis Hall or Hoff Hall (we provide one microwave on each floor). Only one microwave is allowed in each suite but prohibited in individual rooms. Each building has a kitchen which contains a microwave, refrigerator and stove.

What shouldn't I bring with me to my residence hall room?

  • Halogen lamps
  • Candles and incense
  • Pets other than fish (10 gallon tank - maximum size)
  • Cooking appliances; including electric table top grills, toaster or toaster ovens
  • Only automatic shut-off coffee makers and hot pots are allowed
  • Power strips are okay but no extension cords

I have a disability that includes consideration of housing accommodation, what should I do?

If you have or need a housing accommodation, please contact Gerry Volpe in the Academic Support Center (Babcock Hall - First Floor) (802) 468-1428.

Is smoking permitted in any of these residence halls?

Smoking is not permitted in any campus building including the residence halls.

Do I need a meal plan?

Yes, all residents living on campus are required and will be assigned the Unlimited Meal Plan automatically. Students may change their meal plan during the first two weeks of each semester, but they cannot cancel their plan while living on campus.

Can I move or change rooms?

During the first two weeks of each semester there is a room freeze; any room changes will take place after the freeze, with the exception of extenuating circumstances. Occupants may be offered the opportunity to pay an additional charge to occupy the double room as a single if space is available. Students requesting room changes must obtain prior approval from the releasing Area Coordinator and the receiving Area Coordinator.

Do you offer gender inclusive housing?

We recognize that same-sex room assignments are not ideal for all students. At Castleton University, we offer gender inclusive double rooms in Babcock, Ellis and Hoff Halls where students have the option to live with a roommate of their choice, regardless of their gender identity or their roommate’s.

Do you offer themed housing and residence halls?

Yes, we do offer themed housing.

What types of furnishings are provided in each residence hall room?

Rooms are equipped with the following:

  • extra-long bed and mattress
  • desk and chair
  • wardrobe/closet
  • curtains and shades

Suite common areas are equipped with the following:

  • couch
  • loveseat and/or chairs
  • coffee table and/or end tables
  • curtains and shades

Most rooms have linoleum tile for the floor coverings. Students enjoy bringing their own carpet to decorate and add their personal style to the room.

Can furniture be removed from my room and replaced with my own?

No, all university furniture must remain in the room. You may request additional furniture if it is available by contacting the CA or AC in your building. Students are financially responsible for any university furniture that is missing or damaged.

Can I loft or bunk my bed?

Yes, all beds on campus can be lofted. You may sign out a loft kit for your room on move in day at the start of each semester. If you missed this opportunity and would like a loft kit mid-semester, please contact the Area Coordinator in your building.

How long are the mattresses?

All mattresses are Extra Long Twin – please consider this when making a linen purchase.

Residence Life has found a convenient, affordable way to ensure you have sheets that will fit the extra-long mattresses in our residence halls. The Residence Hall Linens Program has all your campus living needs, from extra-long twin sheets and comforters to matching towels and storage items. Free shipping is available on all Value Pak orders, and there are over 40 color combinations to choose from. Proceeds from this program go to Residence Life and are used for programming in the residence halls at Castleton.

Can I access the internet from my room?

Every residence hall room is equipped with a data port for each resident, providing access to the internet. In addition to the wired access, every room also has wireless access. Students must have appropriate software and hardware, including a network card. Contact IT Services for more information regarding network access.

Will my room have access to cable TV?

Due to the popularity of online TV and video content, and the recent upgrades to our internet service to support these options, cable TV service is not available in the residence halls. If you do bring a TV to campus, here are things you should know:

TVs that can connect to your computer may be used to create a larger display for viewing online TV and video content. The store where you buy your TV can tell you if this is possible; and if so, what cable is required for your specific TV and computer. In addition to connecting a television directly to your computer, there are other devices available that that are becoming more popular and easy to use that allow web-streaming.

Do I need renter's insurance?

We do not require you to purchase renter’s insurance, but highly recommend it.

Am I allowed to bring a pet?

Pets are not allowed in the residence halls with the exception of fish and students need the prior approval from the roommate. The size of the fish tank is limited to 10 gallons. There is only one fish tank allowed per resident. No other animals are allowed. Authorization is needed for service animals.

When do the residence halls close during the year?

All residence hall closing dates are available on the academic calendar.

Can I stay on campus during breaks and over the summer?

Mid-Semester Breaks (Fall, Thanksgiving, Winter, and Spring)

Staying in the residence halls over a mid-semester break is a privilege accorded by Residence Life. There is no extra charge for students to stay over these breaks, but they must apply and be approved in advance. On campus dining services are not provided during breaks, so any students staying over break must provide their own food.

Holiday Break Housing

Residence Halls are closed to students over the holiday break (after final exams in December until halls re-open in mid-January). Students and athletes who need to return to campus in early January can apply to move into their rooms before the halls re-open on January 16, 2017.

Summer Housing

Housing is available to those during the summer at an additional charge. Students must submit a summer housing application and be approved in advance.

How do I register my car and where can I park?

All students are allowed to have cars on campus, but are required to register them with Public Safety annually. Our campus parking map shows where student and their guests/parents can park while on campus.

What is my mailing address?

The University Mailing Address is:

49 University Dr.
Castleton, VT 05735-4450

For UPS, FedEx, and other shipments, please refer to physical address list and label accordingly.

What should I do if I lose my room key or Student ID?

Room Key

If you accidentally lock your key in your room, locate your Community Advisor (CA) on duty to let you in. Or, contact public safety if you cannot find a CA or it happens after business hours.

If you think that you have lost your room key on campus or off, contact public safety to see if it was returned to them or to possibly get another key.

Student ID

If you think that you have lost your Student ID on campus or off, contact public safety to see if it was returned to them or to possibly get another key.