GI Bill/Veteran’s Benefits

If you believe you are eligible for benefits under the GI Bill®, or if you are a dependent of a veteran who may have eligibility, you should apply for benefits online to determine your eligibility for benefits.

You can also contact the Veterans Administration at 1-888-442-4551. Press 1, then press 0 to speak to a VA counselor. You should apply for benefits as soon as possible after your decision to apply to the university - the application process takes some time.

If the VA determines that you are eligible for benefits, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility from the Veterans Administration. You will also need to contact Jennifer Woodell, VA Certifying Official, to submit your paperwork and have your enrollment certified. The VA will not pay any benefits until your enrollment is certified by the university.

For more information:

Jennifer Woodell
VA Certifying Official
Phone: (802) 468-1090
Fax: (802) 468-5237

How to obtain college credit for your military experience:

  1. Order your official transcript.
  2. Have your official transcript sent to Castleton University.
  3. Once the official transcript is received it is reviewed by the Registrar’s Office. Most of the credits will be applied to the student’s record as general electives. The number of credits awarded is based upon the ACE recommendations which are found on the official transcript.

Below is a sample representation of how Basic Combat Training is represented on an official transcript:

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at