Basic Instructions for Veterans & Their Dependents

Here are some basic instructions to get you started:

Apply for your benefits here. On the "Apply for Benefits" page, click the "Apply online" link to start the application process. Below is a summary to help you determine which online form you should use. 

  • Form VA 22-1990 for Active Duty (Ch. 30), Selected Reserve (Ch. 1606 or 1607), Post 9/11 (Ch. 33, but only if you’re the veteran or a Sgt. Fry Scholarship recipient). 
  • Use form VA 22-1990E if a veteran (parent/spouse) has transferred benefits to you. (Also See Dependent’s notes below)
  • Use form VA 22-5490 if you are to receive Dependents Education Assistance (Ch. 35)

When you’ve completed the application, print out a copy for your records and one to give to the VA Certification Officer. Bring or mail a copy to:

Jennifer Woodell
VA Certifying Official
Castleton Registrar’s Office
Woodruff Hall
62 Alumni Drive
Castleton, VT 05735. 

Depending on which program under which you’re eligible, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility or Notice of Benefits Eligibility (NOBE) letter from the VA. When you receive it, bring or mail a copy to Jennifer at the address above. It is the student's responsibility to provide the university with proof of benefits.

All programs:

Certification of your enrollment must be done by the University. Your enrollment can only be certified once we receive your paperwork (copy of application, Certificate of Eligibility or NOBE) and you have actually registered for classes. It is also strongly recommended that you enroll in the eBenefits program from the GI Bill website. This can help you access lost paperwork, follow your application status, and much more.

It is also recommended that you apply for financial aid to assist you with payment of any additional expenses not covered by your GI Bill funds. Apply through the FAFSA site for federal financial aid. If you are a Vermont resident, also apply through VSAC. Any amount not covered by payments sent directly to the University by the VA is the responsibility of the student.

Chapter 30, 1606, and 1607 (Active Duty, Selected Reserve, Reserve Educational Assistance Program):

On the last calendar day of each month, you must either call in to self-certify your enrollment, or do so online through the GI Bill Website. Failure to do so will result in delayed payment of benefits by the VA.

Benefits for those receiving Chapter 30, 1606, 1607, or 35 will be paid directly to the student. Arrangements for payment of your bill are your responsibility. 

Dependents who are receiving transferred Post 9/11 benefits: 

Your parent/spouse should have received an approval notice from the Department of Defense (DOD). If the parent/spouse has not received an approval notice, he/she should contact the DOD. If your parent/spouse needs instructions on how to submit a request to transfer benefits, please contact the base personnel office or contact Jennifer Woodell via email or phone: (802) 468-1090.

Once DOD approval has been received, the student must then apply for benefits, using a VA 22-1990E. A copy of the application needs to be sent to Jennifer Woodell. The student will then receive a Certificate of Eligibility letter from the VA. Bring or mail a copy of the letter to Jennifer.

Book Stipends and Housing allowances for all Post 9/11 (Ch. 33) Recipients: 

You will receive a book stipend and a basic housing allowance, based on your eligibility percentage. These funds will be paid directly to you. You may choose to charge your books to your student account, and you may choose to live on campus. Payment for room and board and book charges are the
student’s responsibility.

It’s up to you to arrange for payment of any charges not considered to be tuition or mandatory fees by the VA. Tuition, lab fees, and the insurance fee are examples of charges that are paid directly to the university by the VA, based on your percentage of eligibility. Room, board, books, supplies, parking fines, housing fines, and travel expense fees are not mandatory fees. Any amount not paid by the VA directly to the university is the student’s responsibility.