Have you done everything you need to do to graduate? Here is a quick checklist to help you:
- Check your My Progress report in your Portal, in Self Service, under Student Planning. Does it show the correct program/major/minors? If not, submit a new CAP (Change of Academic Program) form to the Financial & Registration Services Office right away. Your My Progress report will show you exactly which courses/requirements you have met, and what you still have yet to complete.
- Submit your Application for Degree Form to the Financial & Registration Services Center on or before May 1 or December 1 (depending on when you plan to graduate) of the year before you intend to graduate, usually during your junior year. This form will trigger a degree audit by the Registrar's Office and you will be notified of any missing requirements. You will not be listed on the official graduation list until you have registered for all of your remaining requirements. **
- During your last semester, check your tuition bill online often. Graduation fees are applied to student accounts (whether you plan to attend commencement or not) once the final graduation list is verified, so the charge may appear as late as mid-semester. Make sure your final semester balance is at zero before you leave. If you lived on campus, be aware that final dorm damage fines may be assessed well after students have left campus, so check your bill again a month or so after your leave to make sure nothing is outstanding.
- Make sure you return any library books, media, and/or athletic equipment.
- During your last semester, students who received Federal Direct Loans will need to complete online loan exit counseling. Direct Loan exit counseling is done through the studentaid.gov website.
- Check your Castleton email frequently during the spring semester for notifications regarding commencement activities. Also, remind family members to make hotel arrangements if necessary.
- Six months after you graduate you will lose access to your Castleton Portal. If you would like to retain access to your student account, you must set yourself up as an Authorized User. Log into your Portal, click on Self Service, then Student Finance. Click the Payments/Authorized User link and log in. Click on the Authorized Users button and follow the instructions using your personal email, and the system will email you a temporary password. Going forward, you will log in using the Authorized User box.
** In very limited circumstances, students may apply to participate in the commencement ceremony prior to completing all of their requirements. These students must formally apply in writing and meet all the criteria outlined in the application, which is available in the Registrar's Office. The application deadline is April 1.