Student Account Billing

Student Account Billing

What does "Pending Financial Aid" mean on my bill?

Financial Aid will initially show as “Pending.” Expected loans, grants and scholarships that are in process will be listed on your bill under the heading “Pending Financial Aid” until the money is actually received by the university. If your aid still shows as “Pending” after the first two weeks of classes, call Financial & Registration Services immediately to see why. Missing or incomplete financial aid paperwork will prevent students from receiving their loans/grants, and can result in late fees. Students can check their Portal under Financial Aid Document Status or with Financial & Registration Services.

Can you discuss my bill with my parents or guardians?

University employees cannot discuss student finances with anyone, including parents, without the student’s express permission. Students must complete both the FERPA and Authorized User processes.

You can set up an Authorized User:

From the Portal Log-in page:

  1. Select the VSC Bill Payment link under the Login button: Log in at the Students and Staff box.
  2. On the far right of the Home page, select the “Authorized Users” icon.
  3. Under “Add Authorized User” enter the email address of the person you would like to view your billing information; answering Yes to the three questions allows access to billing information only; Click on Continue. 
  4. Read the terms and conditions agreement, then select the “I Agree” checkbox and then “Continue.
  5. A confirmation page will come up telling you that an email has been sent to the address that you provided. Your authorized user will receive an email at that address with login instructions and a temporary password. Authorized users will also receive emails when bills are updated.

NOTE: If the authorized user should lose or forget their password, there is a link the Authorized User can click on below "Forgot your Password? near the lower left corner of the log-in page. The authorized user will then receive a one-time password.

Printable version available

Do you charge any late fees?

Late fees will be charged to past due accounts. Late fees will be assessed to all student accounts that are not paid in a timely manner. Late fees will be charged monthly until the bill is paid in full at the following rate:

Balances due between $200 and $2,000 will be charged $50 monthly.
Balances due between $2,001 and $5,000 will be charged $100 monthly.
Balances due from $5,001 and higher will be charged $200 monthly.

Please refer to the Academic Calendar & Important Deadlines for specific dates.

When is my bill due?

Bills are due before classes begin each semester. Any balance of a student’s bill that is not covered by financial aid or payment plan is due in full before classes begin. Students are responsible for knowing if their expected payments or financial aid are sufficient to cover their current bill. Students whose bills are not paid, cannot register for the following semester or receive transcripts or diplomas, and will be subject to late fees.

What are my payment options?

Castleton offers three primary payment options:

a. Direct payment: cash, check, money order or credit card (Master Card, Visa, Discover, American Express)
b. Financial aid: loans, grants, scholarships or other third-party payments.
c. Monthly payment plan: by semester in 3, 4, 5, or 6 payments (6-pay is fall only). This option is online only.

How can I make a payment?

Castleton accepts cash, checks, money orders, Discover, American Express, Mastercard and Visa (debit and credit cards). Payment plans are paid separately.

Authorized User access: Login through the VSC Portal page by selecting the bill payment logo on the left-hand side of the page. This will take you directly to the billing portal. Log in as an authorized user.

Student access: Login to the VSC Portal. On the Web Services menu in the upper right corner, choose Student Billing/Financials, then choose to Make a Payment/View Your Bill. On the next page, select the My Account link, then enter your username and password on the billing login page in the Students and Staff box.

Once logged in as a student or authorized user, select the “Make a Payment” tab in the blue banner at the top of the page. Click the “Pay by term” button, and check the box by the semester you wish your payment to go toward. Then enter your desired payment amount in the editable field on the right and click the “Continue” button. Select your payment method and continue again. Continue following the instructions and fill in the required information fields. When complete, you should receive a confirmation message that the payment was processed successfully. You will also have the option of saving your payment method for future use.

In Person:
Come into Financial & Registration Services on the first floor of Woodruff Hall weekdays between 9 am and 4:30 pm. (4 pm during the summer). We will process your payment and give you a receipt.

By Mail:
Checks can be made payable to Castleton University and mailed to:

Castleton University
Financial & Registration Services
62 Alumni Drive
Castleton, VT 05735

Please write the student ID number on the check memo line.

By Wire:
Call our main reception desk at (802) 468-6070 and ask to speak to a consultant, and we will give you the bank account and routing number for you to wire your payment to our bank. Please be sure to include the student’s ID number and last name on the wire when you send it, and let us know the date the wire was sent so that we may follow up the transaction with our bank.

Can I charge my textbooks and school supplies to my student account?

Students are allowed to charge their textbooks and school supplies to their student accounts during the first two weeks of classes only. Because refund checks are not available until after Add/Drop, students have the option of having their Castleton Store purchases applied directly to their student tuition accounts. Students who choose this option must show their current class schedule and a photo ID at the time of purchase.

Why is there a charge for health insurance on my bill?

Castleton Student Health Insurance

Castleton University policy requires that all full-time students carry health insurance, so the annual Castleton health insurance plan is billed to students every fall semester. Every fall all full-time students must log into their Castleton Portal and either accept or decline the insurance coverage by completing and submitting the Student Health Insurance Selection Form. Those who opt in will receive an ID card in the mail shortly after classes begin. Those who opt out must provide their current insurance information and will have the charge removed from their bill.

To accept or decline the insurance: from the Castleton home page, select the VSC Portal link at the very bottom of the page, and log in. On the Web Services menu, choose on Student Billing/Financials, then Student Health Insurance Form. Complete the form, leaving nothing blank, and then Submit.

Castleton offers insurance coverage through Consolidated Health Plans. For information on coverage and claim forms, CHP can be reached at 1-800-633-7867, or on the CHP website. Select Student Health Plans and choose Castleton from the drop box.

New Spring Students

New students who begin at Castleton in the spring semester will see the health insurance charge on their first spring tuition bill, only that one time. The charge will then appear on every subsequent fall bill.

How can I set up a payment plan?

The monthly payment plan is per semester, online only. Students and Authorized Users can enroll in the payment plan beginning in June for Fall semester and in November for Spring semester. You can choose 3, 4, 5 or 6 payments (6-pay is fall only). There is a $30 enrollment fee each semester. Students will be charged late fees if their payment is not received by the 15th of each month. The plan automatically calculates your installment payments, and updates your plan when any changes are made to your student account, such as book charges and parking fines.

I am expecting a refund check. How do I get it?

Students whose tuition accounts have been over-paid by financial aid and/or other payments and have a credit balance will be refunded the difference after the two-week add/drop period at the beginning of each semester. Because financial aid often comes in more than one disbursement, we process refunds once a week throughout the semester. We encourage students to sign up for direct deposit, as paper checks are mailed to home addresses from our central office in Montpelier, VT.

To sign up for direct deposit: log into the Castleton Portal, go to Self Service and log in. Click on Student Finance, then the Payments/Authorized Users link. Click the Students and Staff button and log in again, then select the "Electronic Refunds" icon on the right side of the page. You must complete Security Settings before setting up your refund account, then choose the Payment Profile tab and follow the instructions. Be sure to check the box to indicate refund account. Be aware: the system will ask you to enter your bank account number and routing number, then your account number again but in reverse order.

How do I view my tuition bill?

Students are billed by semester, not by year, and bills are viewable after students register for classes. Other charges such as textbooks, parking fines and late fees, appear on student accounts as they occur through the semester, so check bills often.

Students can create Authorized Users so family members can view bills and make payments with their own login and password. Students and Authorized Users will receive billing update notices via email when online statements are updated.

Bills can be viewed on the Castleton Portal and can be paid online by credit/debit card or web check. Credit card payments show on your credit card statement as Vermont State Colleges.

  1. Visit the VSC Portal.
  2. Student access: Log into your Portal. From Web Services menu, choose Student Billing/Financials, Pay/View Your Bill/View 1098T. Select My Account, and log in again.

    Authorized User access: At the login page, select the link under the Login button that says: VSC Bill Payment for Students and Authorized Users. Log in as an authorized user.

  3. From the billing Home page, select the "My Account" tab and Click on "Statements."
  4. Go to "Select Statement to View" near the top of the page and choose statement date in the drop menu. Select the Select button next to it. This should show an itemized statement, in PDF format. If nothing happens, check the top of your screen for a message that indicates a pop-up has been blocked, and then allow it. The pop-up function on your internet browser must be enabled.

This snapshot of your bill is updated twice monthly, around the 1 and the 15 of each month.

To see recent transactions, select Current Activity under My Account.

Questions? Contact Financial & Registration Services: (802) 468-6070