Faculty Services

Also see our For Faculty guide for more information on library services for faculty and for other useful information and resources to support your research and teaching.

Faculty Research

Calvin Coolidge Library staff are happy to assist faculty in their research projects, including reference services and interlibrary loan (ILL). You can submit your own interlibrary loan requests electronically through our Interlibrary Loan System.

Library & Information Literacy Instruction

Instruction in the use of library resources and other information literacy skills is available for your students. See our Information Literacy & Library Instruction Guide for details, or use our Instruction Request Form to request a session.

Course Reserves

Calvin Coolidge Library circulation staff oversees the maintenance and circulation of reserve materials. Faculty should bring items to be placed on reserve (library books, personal books, personal videos/DVDs, photocopies of articles, etc.) to the circulation desk. Fill out a reserve materials list for each class with complete information for each item, specifying:

  • Professor's name;
  • Course number and title; 
  • Loan period (3 hour reserves are most common); 
  • Whether material must be used in the library, or may be removed from the building;
  • Whether personal books should have security tape installed.

As required by the VSC Copyright Policy, Calvin Coolidge Library must receive a permission for use form for unpublished materials, such as student papers.

Please bring material to the library at least one day in advance of expected student use. Materials are generally placed on reserve for one semester. At the end of each semester items are removed from the reserve list; personal items are returned to faculty and library items are re-shelved.

Please note that library reserves must comply with the Vermont State Colleges Copyright Policy.

Vermont Consortium of Academic Libraries Reciprocal Faculty Direct Borrowing

An agreement among the college and university libraries in Vermont permits direct faculty borrowing. That means Castleton faculty will be allowed to borrow books while visiting other academic libraries in the state.

Who is eligible?

Full-time and part-time Castleton faculty, staff and administrators are eligible for VCAL cards. Full-time faculty, staff, and administrator cards will expire at the end of the academic year in which they are issued. Part-time faculty cards will expire at the end of the semester in which they are issued. Calvin Coolidge Library reserves the right to restrict this privilege to people whose library accounts are in good standing.

Which libraries?

Visit the VCAL website for a list of participating college and university libraries.

How to get started?

Stop at the library circulation desk to fill out a VCAL direct borrowing form. You will be issued a VCAL faculty reciprocal borrowing card. Take that card with you to UVM, Middlebury, Goddard or any of the other VCAL member libraries, and you will be allowed to borrow books and other materials.

What can be borrowed, and for how long?

Generally, libraries loan books and some audio-visual material to VCAL borrowers. Loan periods and policies are set by each participating library, and they differ from one library to another. For example, libraries differ in the number of items that can be checked, the loan period, and in the types of material that can be checked out. (Some libraries permit DVDs to be checked out, some do not.) The VCAL website contains a list of links to the VCAL circulation policies of member libraries.

How should items be returned?

Items may be returned either to the library from which they were borrowed, or to Calvin Coolidge Library. When returning items to our library, please be sure to tell the library staff that the items belong to another library.

Collection Development

We welcome faculty suggestions for the purchase of books, periodicals and other materials for Calvin Coolidge Library's collections.  While we can’t purchase every resource, we want to hear from you about your departmental and discipline needs.  Contact your departmental liaison librarian with suggestions or to discuss our collection.