Professor (Retired), Part-time Faculty
Primary: (802) 468-1453
Fax: (802) 468-6420
62 Alumni Drive
Professor Cohen has more than thirty-five years of direct marketing and marketing research experience. He began his career in the list business at Names Unlimited in New York. In 1977 he joined Garden Way, Inc. as a direct mail manager where he had an integral role in developing the direct mail program for the Troy-Bilt Rototiller. He was promoted to Director of Research in 1983 and later became Garden Way’s Director of Research and New Business Development.
In 1985 Paul joined the American Contract Bridge League as Director of Marketing. There he was responsible for new member recruitment, public relations, member retention, product sales, and the publishing of the league’s monthly magazine.
Paul is currently a professor in the Department of Business Administration at Castleton University in Vermont and principal of Paul Cohen & Associates.
Paul has conducted research for a host of organizations including Brookstone, L.L. Bean, Chadwick’s of Boston, Pleasant Company (American Girl), Gardener’s Supply Company, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Plow and Hearth, Country Life Magazine, Eating Well Magazine, and The American Contract Bridge League. Paul has personally designed, implemented, and analyzed over 100 consumer surveys and focus groups. Paul has been a speaker and panelist at Direct Marketing Association (DMA) conferences and has guest lectured at colleges and universities around the country as part of the DMA’s Visiting Executive Program.
M.B.A., State University of New York, Albany
B.S., State University of New York, Albany
- As Marketing Director at the American Contract Bridge League, led the effort to stem the downturn of bridge in North America. Helped Launch the ACBL Educational Foundation and ACBL accredited teacher training program.
- As a consultant, helped Pleasant Company launch the American Girl of Today line of dolls.
- Served as head tennis coach at Castleton for 19 years. Represented Castleton at six national championships.
- Developed innovative way to teach Principles of Marketing course, written up in Great Ideas for Teaching Marketing
- Developed Vermont's first college course in Direct Marketing