The Vermont State University Center for Schools
Established in the Fall of 2002, the Vermont State University (VTSU) Center for Schools (CFS), is committed to advancing education for practicing educators throughout Vermont and beyond.
The Center's mission is to extend the educational resources of the Vermont State University to empower the birth-12 education professionals through cutting-edge, responsive, and diversified portfolio of learning opportunities.
The Center's primary purpose is to support the work of schools through in-service programs and graduate coursework. These programs and courses are tailored to the needs of those working in today's demanding school conditions.
Who we are:
CFS is a unit within Vermont State University that works closely with faculty and practitioners to develop industry-specific credit-bearing courses at the graduate level and teacher preparation programs.
What we do:
We assist educators in cultivating vibrant, inclusive, and innovative learning environments that empower them and their students to reach their full potential and contribute positively to their communities and the world.
How we do it:
We connect learners in the birth- 12 education system to expert knowledge to foster personal growth and social progress through innovative professional development opportunities.
Responsive to Individual Needs
- Offers over 300 courses annually in online, in-person, and hybrid formats. All courses are designed specifically for practicing educators
- Arranges for independent courses and tutorials
- Provides assistance to those seeking licensure
- Links exemplary field practitioners with each other for support
Responsive to School Needs
- Sets up on-site contract courses requested by school staff
- Connects college liberal arts and education faculty to teachers in the field
- Provides resources for data analysis as well as presentations for a variety of purposes and audiences
Responsive to Regional Needs
- Offers workshops on current educational initiatives for regional supervisory unions and districts
- Arranges for summer institutes on campus
Please visit this site often for updates on courses and events.
Dr. Ric Reardon, Director, Castleton Center for Schools
Tara Lidstone, M.Ed., Assistant Director, Castleton Center for Schools