Frequently Asked Questions About Registration

Transfer Student Registration

Why is registration required?

Registration will be an important introduction to your academic career at Castleton. During registration you will meet a faculty advisor, register for classes, and meet many other Castleton students. Our goal is that when you return for classes, Castleton will feel like home.

What should I bring to Registration?

You will want to wear comfortable clothing/shoes and dress for the weather. You will also want to bring something to take notes with - either a paper and pencil or tablet; whichever you are more comfortable with. 

Who will I meet at Registration?

There will be many members of our campus community to greet you when you come for Registration! You will meet the Student Orientation Staff (SOS), an academic advisor, several campus staff members, and your future classmates!

Will my family be with me during Registration?

During Registration, families and students follow different, but overlapping, schedules. This allows you plenty of time to check-in with your family, while still allowing you the freedom to start meeting new friends and making decisions as a new Castleton student.

Will I need to take placement exams/tests?

During Registration, some students will need to do an assessment for writing to determine the appropriate introductory English course. If you need testing accommodations, please contact Gerry Volpe, Coordinator of Disability Services, via phone (802) 468-1428 or email. Some international students may need English language assessment during orientation.

What if I need academic support?

In order to request academic accommodations, students who have a documented disability should supply the Academic Support Center with appropriate documentation. Documentation should be recent and comprehensive. If you have a disability and need further information on what constitutes comprehensive documentation, or if you would like to make an appointment to discuss accommodations, please contact Gerry Volpe in the Academic Support Center via phone (802) 468-1428, fax (802) 468-1205, or email. Information regarding disabilities may also be found on their website

I need to stay before/after Registration. Where do you recommend?

There are many wonderful local accommodations. The area chambers of commerce have comprehensive lists

When will I receive my housing assignment?

Residence Life will notify you via email after a room assignment has been made. Please contact Michael Robilotto, Director of Residence Life, at (802) 468-1259 or by email if you have any questions. 

When will I get my Castleton email address?

Your email access will be granted shortly after your register for your classes. Your email address is your portal user id (initials plus your two digit birth month and two digit birth day and a 0) (Ex.

Will I be able to have my vehicle on campus?

Yes! All students are able to have a vehicle on campus regardless of their year at the University. 

All students must register their vehicle with Public Safety each year.

You will need to also abide by the parking policies outlined by Public Safety. 

When will I get my Castleton ID?

When you are Registration, your photo will be taken for your ID card. Your ID card will serve as your key to get into your residence hall, your meal plan, and your overall campus identification. You will receive the card during orientation in August.

How will my credits apply to my degree program?

If you would like to view how your credits will apply to your degree program simply log into your portal account, select Student Academic Planning under Web Services, then select Program Evaluation. Your intended program will populate as active, but it is not truly active until after registration. Please be sure to use the 'What If...' menu to select your intended program; your program evaluation will then populate accordingly. You will receive a paper copy of your transfer evaluation at Registration.