Financial Aid & Scholarships
Information on this page is intended for students through spring 2023.
More than 80 percent of Castleton University students receive a scholarship and almost every student is eligible for some form of aid. Castleton graduates also have lower student debt and higher starting salaries than the average student nationwide, according to the College Scorecard. We are committed to making your Castleton education as affordable as possible so you can confidently invest in your future and be well on your way to a secure, successful career.
Announcements & Deadlines
Federal Student Loan Debt Relief
The U.S. Department of Education has announced plans to offer targeted debt relief of up to $20,000 for certain federal student loan borrowers.
The application for this debt cancellation is now live. You can access it below:
Complete the Federal Student Loan Debt Relief Application
You can learn more about debt relief on the studentaid.gov website.
For information about your loan balance, your loan servicer, or if you were ever a Pell Grant recipient, create or log into your studentaid.gov account.
New Scholarships for Vermont Residents for 2022-2023 Academic Year
||FAFSA and VSAC Grant Application
|Open for Fall 2022
||Open for Spring 2023
|Welcome Home Scholarship
||Students transferring from out-of-state institutions OR who have exited any college since 3/1/20. Must be new to Castleton for the 2022-23 academic year. $5000 per year for full-time students, $3,000 per year for part-time students.
|Degree Completion Scholarship
||Not enrolled in higher education since May 2019. Scholarship is a last-dollar scholarship toward tuition only.
|Critical Occupations Scholarship
||Matriculated undergraduate student in Nursing or Early Childhood Education programs. Scholarship is a last-dollar scholarship toward tuition only. Must not have previous Bachelor's degree and AGI on the FAFSA is under 150,000.
|Nursing and Early Childhood Education Forgivable Loan
||Matriculated undergraduate student in Nursing or Early Childhood Education programs. No interest loan that is forgiven once student completes working in Vermont component. Contact VSAC for additional details 800-642-3177.
- Applying for 2022-2023 financial aid? The 2022-2023 FAFSA form is now available. Castleton University’s school code is 003683.
- Special Circumstance Requests due to COVID-19 – Your 2022-2023 financial aid is based on your 2020 income as reported on the 2022-2023 FAFSA. If your income has been significantly reduced since 2020 and your family’s ability to pay has changed, we may be able to adjust your Federal Aid eligibility for financial aid by using 2021 actual income or 2022 estimated income. You can find more information as well as appeal forms on our 2022-2023 Special Circumstances page.
2021-2022 Financial Aid Deadlines
- March 31, 2022 — Last day for Castleton Financial Aid Office to receive your valid FAFSA information for the 2021-2022 academic year.
- April 30, 2022 — Last day to finalize and accept your financial aid package. If your financial aid file is still incomplete we will assume that you are no longer interested in receiving financial aid for the 2021-2022 academic year.
- October 1, 2021 — First day the 2022-2023 FAFSA form is available. Remember to submit it as early as possible to be considered for first-come, first-served types of financial aid.
2022-2023 Financial Aid Deadlines
- March 31, 2023 — Last day for Castleton Financial Aid Office to receive your valid FAFSA information for the 2021-2022 academic year.
- April 30, 2023 — Last day to finalize and accept your financial aid package. If your financial aid file is still incomplete we will assume that you are no longer interested in receiving financial aid for the 2022-2023 academic year.
- October 1, 2022 — First day the 2023-2024 FAFSA form is available. Remember to submit it as early as possible to be considered for first-come, first-served types of financial aid.
Learn about Castleton’s scholarships for first-year students, returning students, transfer students, international students, out-of-state students, and first-generation students.
Learn more about Scholarships
Learn the ins and outs of this important way to finance your education — and how to keep your student loan debt manageable.
Learn more about Loans
Find out about aid that allows you to work on campus to help you pay for your college costs. You might even find work related to your major to boost your resumé.
Learn more about Work-Study
For Graduate Students
Learn about the forms of financial aid that may be available to you if you are a graduate student at Castleton University. Graduate students must submit the FAFSA form to be considered for any form of financial aid.
Learn about Graduate Aid options
How to Apply for Financial Aid
To apply for financial aid, you only have to submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form to the U.S. Department of Education. You do not have to complete a separate application to apply for Castleton’s scholarships. You are automatically considered for Castleton scholarships and federal aid when you submit your college application and FAFSA. However, many grants and scholarships are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, so submit your materials early!
FAFSA Info for Castleton
Castleton’s school code for the FAFSA: 003683.
Deadline for submitting your FAFSA: March 31
Learn more about how to apply for financial aid, how your financial need is determined, and when you will receive your financial aid package.
How to apply for aid →
Graduate students at Castleton can also receive financial aid. Find out what types of aid you may be eligible for.
Information for Parents
Find out how to stay informed of your student’s financial aid application process, award package, and tuition bill payments.
Financial Aid Calendar
View our month-by-month guide to all of the steps you need to take to successfully secure your financial aid as a new or returning student.
Tuition and Fees
Find up-to-date information about tuition and room and board costs for Castleton University.
Net Price Calculator
Estimate your personal cost to attend Castleton using the Net Price Calculator. By factoring in your family’s finances and potential sources of financial aid, your out-of-pocket costs may be far less than you expected.
Student Success Checklist
Wondering if you missed a step in the financial aid application process? Use our checklist to make sure your finances and financial aid are in order.
We’re Here to Help
Contact the Financial Aid Team
Our Financial Aid Team is here to help you and your parents learn how to apply for financial aid and understand all of the types of aid your family may be eligible for. We are available to personally answer any questions you have. Navigating financial aid can be stressful for any family but we are here to support you. Please get in touch!
Meet the Financial Aid Team →