Undergraduate International Admission Requirements
Please read the following information carefully to determine if you are considered an international applicant. If you have any questions, please contact us before you apply at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the purpose of admission, Castleton University defines “international applicants” as foreign nationals who hold or intend to hold any temporary non-immigrant visa/status in the U.S.A. These applicants must complete the international application. Note: Students who hold a non-immigrant visa/status and who attend U.S. high schools are considered international applicants.
Applicants who are U.S. citizens, U.S. permanent residents, pending permanent residency, political asylums, or refugees are considered “domestic applicants” and should refer to "how to apply".
To be considered for undergraduate admission to a Castleton University, an international applicant MUST submit:
- Completed International Application for Admission.
- Official diploma and transcript of your complete high school studies. If you have at least one year of full-time college studies (all post-secondary studies), your high school transcript is not required. Transfer credits must be evaluated by an accredited service. If the documents are written in a language other than English, complete and certified true English translations must be furnished together with the official documents in that language. Photocopies or other copies must be certified true. All academic transcripts must be signed by the appropriate school or government official and must include the seal of the school or the government.
- If English is not your first language, to be considered for admission to Castleton’s academic program a minimum score of 71 iBT TOEFL or 6 IELTS is required. Other English language assessments may be substituted with permission from Castleton Admissions. Reported test scores must be from the previous two years. If your TOEFL or IELTS result does not meet the minimum score for admission, you may be admitted to the Pathway Program for English Language Learners. This program is for students whose academic record is satisfactory but who require further development in one or more English skills areas. The University’s TOEFL code is 3765.*
Note: SAT or ACT is required of international first-year applicants whose native language is English or who have graduated from a high school where English is the instruction language. SAT or ACT is not required of transfer international students.
- A check or money order of $40 USD to pay for the mandatory application fee. The check or money order must be made payable to Castleton University.
- International Student Certification of Finances: Your application must be accompanied by certification that sufficient funds will be available to meet both your living and tuition expenses while attending Castleton University. Refer to the Confidential Financial Certification for details.
- Two recommendation letters (one for transfer students).
- One most recent photo (37mm x 37mm) and a copy of your passport ID page.
- If you are currently in the U.S, please enclose (a) a copy of your passport and visa pages, (b) a copy of your I-94 Card, and/or (c) a copy of your current I-20 or DS2019.
Your application for admission and supporting credentials should be filed as early as possible to allow sufficient time to process your application, get your visa, and arrange for transportation. The information and the documents you provide will be carefully examined.
*Students who do not meet Castleton's English Proficiency requirement are otherwise admissible may be eligible to enroll in the Associate of Arts in General Studies degree program and participate in the English Language Support Program.
Please submit the above documents to:
International Student Office
86 Seminary Street
Castleton, Vermont 05735, USA
Phone: (802) 468-1371
Fax: (802) 639-6044
Track Your Castleton Application
If you haven't already created a Castleton account, we encourage you to do so. This will provide access to more detailed information, while keeping you informed and connected with Castleton. Should you choose to apply, this account will allow you to track your application status and more!