As a student in Castleton’s Exercise & Sports Science program, you’ll gain experience in a diverse field of study that will prepare you for a successful career in clinical, corporate, community, or commercial settings. Graduates of the program take steps to pursue graduate studies in related fields.
Why Study Exercise & Sports Science at Castleton?
- Three areas of specialization. The program offers concentrations in three areas: Strength and Conditioning, Clinical Exercise Physiology, and General Exercise & Sports Science.
- Prepare for nationally recognized certifications. Coursework is designed to aid you in preparation for nationally recognized certifications, including those offered by the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) and the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA).
- Get hands-on experience. Students have access to Castleton’s state-of-the-art laboratory space, a dedicated area for you to practice your skills.
Request more information about Castleton’s Exercise & Sports Science major →
What Careers in Exercise & Sports Science Can I Pursue?
As a graduate of Castleton’s Exercise & Sports Science program, you’ll be prepared for careers in strength and conditioning, physical or occupational therapy, cardiac or pulmonary rehabilitation, nutrition, chiropractic medicine, and more. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects 11% career growth for exercise physiologists from 2019 through 2029.
Other examples of careers you can get with an Exercise & Sports Science degree include:
- Fitness trainers and instructors
- Sports coach
- Exercise physiologist
- Gym manager
- Recreation director
- Sports agent
- Wellness coordinator
View career outcomes →
What You’ll Learn
As a student in our Exercise & Sports Science program, you will take courses on a variety of topics intended to develop your knowledge and skillset including administering tests and interpreting results, instructing patients, clients and athletes to the proper procedures for performing self-administered fitness tests and assessing their readiness for physical activity, and more.
- Strength Training Principles
- Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Clinical Exercise Testing and Prescription
- Clinical Electrocardiography
- Fitness Center Management
- Foundations of Therapeutic Interventions
View Exercise & Sports Science courses →
Our Exercise & Sports Science Facilities
Castleton is home to state-of-the-art Exercise & Sports Science facilities, featuring ultra-modern technology that provides you the opportunity to apply what you have learned in the classroom and gain valuable hands-on experience.
Castleton’s facilities include:
- Two metabolic measurement systems
- Fitness Center which provides free weights and selectorized equipment
- Biochemistry area with quality equipment such as a Nanodrop spectrophotometer, centrifuges, and microcentrifuge.
- Micro-assay capabilities for several analytes and other blood components such as glucose, Hb, lactate, hs-CRP, cholesterol with lipid profile, etc.
- Several electrocardiography units
- Lung spirometer
Meet Our Exercise & Sports Science Faculty
Your professors bring a wealth of knowledge and experience from years of working as professionals in the field, including as a former physiologist for the U.S. Ski Team. As a student in Castleton’s Exercise & Sports Science, you’ll enjoy small classes and personal connections with professors who are ready to help connect you with internship and career opportunities.
Meet Castleton’s Exercise & Sports Science faculty →