Important Steps for First Year Enrollment
Important Notice: We understand you may have questions about plans for academic delivery in 2021. Spring semester plans are for 1/3 of our courses to be taught in-person, 1/2 will be taught online, and the rest will be hybrid (a combination of in-person and online). Fall plans are to be determined, and we will keep incoming students informed as information becomes available.
Check Your Admissions & Financial Aid Information!
• Ensure your Admissions Application Status Page checklist items are completed! Admissions must have your Decision Reply Form and final official transcripts on file. Contact Admissions if you have any questions or need a link to your status page.
• Have a $200 non-refundable tuition deposit ($100 for part-time students) on file in the Admissions Office. Deposit is typically due by December 1 for spring enrollment and May 1 for fall enrollment, yet dates are flexible this year due to coronavirus affecting many families. Please keep us aware of your plans, submit when you are able, and let us know if you need a waiver. Deposit will be credited on your future Castleton account.
• Login to the Castleton portal and be prepared with your username and password for future use. The Portal can be used to view your financial aid, as well as to view your schedule after you have been registered for courses. Haven't logged in before? We have instructions for you!
• Make sure the Financial Aid Office has all your documents. Bill and payment information will be available after registration. For more information, contact Financial & Registration Services at (802) 468-6070.
Complete Required Forms!
• Submit your Residence Life Housing Contract. Spring 2021 contracts can be submitted now (fall contracts are not yet available). You will use your Castleton Portal login to access our eRezlife system and select "new student contract". Please be prepared with your Castleton Portal username and password. Haven't logged in to your portal before? We have instructions for you! As a first-year Castleton student, you must live on campus unless you are commuting from home. You can review all the housing options online. Please note: students have the additional option of selecting to live in themed housing, such as Wellness. Honors students also have the option of Honors Housing.
• Complete and return the Health Form. This is required by Vermont State Law to attend class.
• Complete the TRIO form to help us determine your eligibility for the TRIO grant. This grant enables Castleton to provide additional academic support services to students who are first-generation college students, low-income students, or students with documented disabilities.
• Complete the New Student Information Form.
• Complete your Quarantine. Expectations for all students include Quarantine, Test, and Pledge. See Details: COVID-19 Updates . Ensure your understanding of these three items, and fulfill your quarantine requirement.
• Sign your Spartan Pledge. The Spartan Pledge is your commitment to the well-being of the community during COVID-19. To do so, Login to your Castleton portal; the Spartan Pledge appears in the bottom right hand corner.
• Submit your Consent to On-Campus COVID Testing and your Covid Testing Pre-Registration Form. See COVID-19 Updates , Important Information for all Students about Required Testing, for detailed information.
• Send a photo for your Castleton ID. When you enroll, Public Safety will use a passport quality photo for your ID card. Your ID card will serve as your key to get into your residence hall, your meal plan, and your overall campus identification. See instructions to submit your Castleton Photo.
• Register your Vehicle. All students are able to have a vehicle on campus regardless of their year at the University. All students must register their vehicle with Public Safety each year, if commuting by car or planning to bring a vehicle to campus. Online vehicle registration is available on the portal. You will need to also abide by the parking policies outlined by Public Safety.
Registration & Orientation!
First-Year students enrolling in the Spring 2021 semester (beginning February 1, 2021, see Academic Calendar) will be registered for classes in the winter months on a rolling basis. An overview of next steps are listed below.
Fall 2021 semester students (beginning end of August 2021) will be registered for classes in the summer months on a rolling basis. We will inform fall students of next steps after May 1st has passed, in Mid-May.
- Complete your Registration Questionnaire. Admissions will email you a link to your questionnaire (available in mid-Dec for spring enrollment and in mid-May for fall enrollment). This form notifies us that you are ready to meet with a Success Coach to register for classes and also provides more information about your aspirations for your Success Coach to consider.
- Complete Online Orientation and pass 15 brief (easy!) quizzes. A link to Online Orientation will be included in Admissions correspondence. Online Orientation will ensure you complete enrollment steps and help you understand keys to your success as a new Castleton student. Online Orientation will also prepare you for your Success Coach advising conversation.
- After you have completed your Questionnaire and Orientation, a Success Coach will connect. Together, you will discuss your class preferences. You will be registered for classes based on your advising conversation.
- You will receive an email with instructions when your schedule is available to view on your portal.
- One of your classes will be a First Year Seminar (FYS). Your FYS professor will serve as your first year advisor. A member of the Student Orientation Staff (SOS), a CU student leader, will be an additional resource to you and your FYS classmates.
- Your FYS professor and a SOS student leader will connect with you. They will also foster connections with your FYS classmates.
- Introduction to Student Life sessions are planned for students living on campus. This programming will take place at the semester start.
If need be, please review Frequently Asked Enrollment Questions about Registration
• Download the Castleton app on your smartphone or tablet. Just search "Castleton" on the Google Play or Apple App store.
• Follow @CastletonEdu on all social media channels - Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat!
• Join the Castleton Class of 2025 FB page!