IRS Tax Return Transcript Request
Tax filers can request a transcript, free of charge, of their tax return from the IRS in one of three ways.
Online Transcript Request
- Go to www.irs.gov
- Click on Get My Tax Record
- Click on Get Transcript by Mail
- Enter identifying information
- Select Transcript type Return Transcript
- Select Return year (use 2017 for 2019-2020 and 2018 for 2020-2021 verification)
- Available from the IRS by calling 1-800-908-9946
- Tax filers must follow prompts to enter their social security number and the numbers in their street address. Generally this will be numbers of the street address that was listed on the latest tax return filed. However, if an address change has been completed through the US Postal Service, the IRS may have the updated address on file.
- Select "Option 2" to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript and then enter the appropriate tax year.
- If successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript at the address that was used in their telephone request, within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives the request.
- IRS Tax Return Transcripts requested by telephone cannot be sent directly to a third party by the IRS.
Paper Request Form – IRS Form 4506T-EZ
- IRS Form 4506T-EZ should be used instead of IRS Form 4506-T because it is sufficient to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript.
- Complete lines 1 – 4, following the instructions on page 2 of the form. Note that line 3 should be the most current address as filed with the IRS. It is the address where the IRS Tax Return Transcript will be sent. If the address has recently changed, include the address listed on the latest tax return filed on Line 4. However, if an address change has been completed through the US Postal Service, the IRS may have the updated address on file.
- On line 6, enter the tax year of the IRS tax information for the year required for your FAFSA. Use 2017 for 2019-2020 and 2018 for 2020-2021 verification.
- The tax filers (or spouse if requesting information from a joint tax return) must sign and date the form and enter their telephone number. Only one signature is required to request a transcript for a joint return.
- Mail or fax the completed IRS Form 4506T-EZ to the appropriate address (or FAX number) provided on page 2 of Form 4506T-EZ.
- Tax filers can expect to receive their transcript within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives and processes their signed request.
- Submit transcripts to Castleton University by secure fax to 802-468-6097. Please write student name and ID# on each page of the transcript.
- Note: Processing form 4506T-EZ means verifying/validating the information provided on the form. If any information does not match the IRS records, the IRS will notify the tax filer that it was not able to provide the transcript.
How to fix address matching problems when ordering online.
When entering the information into the IRS address matching system note the following:
- The address entered must match the address already on file with the IRS exactly.
- The address on file is typically the address on your most recent tax return.
- Spelling out the word “street” rather than using the abbreviation “st.” can be enough to cause an error.
- Addresses on the IRS system are auto-corrected through a post office program and may not match what you put on your tax return.
- We suggest the following if you run into problems:
- Have your taxes in front of you and enter the address carefully as it is on your return.
- If you entered your address as it appears on your return and it doesn’t work, try using the standardized version of your address. To get a standardized version of your address: 1) go to www.usps.com. 2) Click Look up a Zip Code. 3) Enter street address, city, state. 4) Click Find.
- If you still have problems, the IRS.gov Website Help Desk can be reached toll-free at 1-800-876-1715, Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m. (Eastern Time).