Change More Lives
Make a difference in students’ lives in the way that a favorite teacher made a difference in yours. At Castleton University, you’ll receive significant opportunities for mentorship and student teaching experience. You’ll study and learn within our close-knit community of passionate educators. You’ll also have the flexibility to specialize in what interests you most as you prepare to obtain your teaching license. And if you’re looking to advance your current career in education, Castleton also offers four leading-edge master’s degrees in education.
Why Study Education at Castleton?
- Twice the Teaching Experience: Your program builds in two consecutive semesters of student teaching at a local school. This means a full year of valuable classroom experience, networking with professional educators, and strengthening your resumé.
- Double the Advising: To support your program planning, you will be assigned two academic advisors: one in education and one in your chosen major.
- Flexibility & Choice: Choose a major in the liberal arts and sciences while you work toward licensure in elementary education or secondary education. You can also focus on special education or art, music, theater, mathematics, health, or physical education.
- Career Advancement: Upon graduation, your opportunities to start teaching only expand. You’ll be more than ready for your first year of teaching or well-prepared to further your education in graduate school.
- Supportive & Personal Feel: Our small classes, close-knit campus, and relationship-based education philosophy mean you’ll receive more one-on-one attention and make deeper connections.
- Affordability: Castleton has some of the lowest annual costs in the region for education programs. Eight out of 10 incoming students receive scholarships.
Request more information about Castleton's Education program →
Undergraduate Programs in Education
Graduate Programs in Education
What Careers in Education Can I Pursue?
There are myriad opportunities available to graduates with a bachelor’s degree in education from Castleton. Many of our alumni continue to teach in local Vermont schools at all levels and some out-of-state students return to their home states to become teachers. Castleton's Education Department also prepares our students to obtain advanced degrees in the field. After graduation, some students attend graduate school for master’s degrees in education while others pursue graduate degrees in counseling.
Did you know that 84 percent of the class of 2019 found employment or pursued further study within six months of graduation?
Learn more about career outcomes →
What You'll Learn
You can pursue a wide range of subjects and specializations in education at Castleton. What do all education majors have in common? Access to exciting, cutting-edge course topics and extensive student teaching in real classrooms. Visit the academic catalog for up-to-date information on courses and degree requirements.
- Behavior Challenges: Social and Academic Success for All
- Instructional Application of Computers
- Gender and Education
- Mathematics for Elementary School Teachers
- Myths and Folk Tales
- The Ancient World
- Flora of Vermont
- The Outdoor Classroom
View elementary education courses →
View secondary education courses →
Meet Our Education Faculty
You will work with passionate mentors who truly care about preparing you for a fulfilling career in education. Castleton’s relationship-based education model ensures you’ll receive one-on-one attention from our accomplished faculty.
Meet our education faculty →
Vermont Teacher Licensure & Certification
Castleton provides excellent preparation to education majors seeking to obtain a teaching license in Vermont. You will work one-on-one with your advisors and professors to get ready to ace the Core Academic Skills Test for Educators and the Praxis Subject Assessment test required by the State of Vermont.
Learn more about licensure →
Affordability and Value
With low annual costs and 80 percent of students receiving scholarships, a Castleton education degree is within reach. We’ll help you find your personal cost to attend and discover what types of financial aid you may be eligible for.
Learn about financial aid →